The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Roping (http://www.horseforum.com/roping/)
-   -   Feeding the loop (http://www.horseforum.com/roping/feeding-loop-166602/)

DukeTinCans1313 04-01-2013 09:11 PM

Feeding the loop

Soooo im just learning how to rope, and im doing pretty good on the ground! Ive got the swing and all that down, but i want to control he size a little better? So can anyone give me step by step instructions on how to feed your loop?! I know it must be a ton easier then it looks?? Thank you!!

QHriderKE 04-01-2013 10:49 PM

Feeding the loop out is easy. I just loosen my pinky and ring finger on the loop and it after a few practice swings I figured the feel of feeding it out. If I knew how to explain it better I would. Dangit.

ropinbiker 04-02-2013 11:26 AM

yep, hard to explain without being there to show you, you do as above and loosen your grip at about the time your tip is to your back right and it should start to feed as the tip comes around from the back right to your front right(should stop feeding at about where the cow's hip would be to your front right side and just before your turn the loop over). One thing that may help is to put your pinky finger between the top of the loop and the rope so that when you want to feed, you can "squeeze" your pinky around the top strand of the loop and that way the rope will be free to feed and you won't lose control of the loop.

QHriderKE 04-06-2013 07:05 PM

You have to let the momentum of your loop pull out more rope and slide. Your fingers control how much rope you slide out.

COWCHICK77 04-09-2013 01:58 AM

50 Attachment(s)
This is another reason why you don't want to "palm" your rope, meaning holding it in the palm of your hand rather in your fingers. You have more feel there and with your first finger extended you can feel your tip and you have more control. When the momentum from your back swing comes around and your fingers are in the "upside down pistol grip" by your ear/side of head is when you can feed your loop. That is the best way I explain, or at least how I do it :)

QHriderKE 04-09-2013 11:48 AM

^^ nice

Roping is so hard to explain without actually being there to show you and put your fingers in the right placeand tell you what to do as you do it.

Roping clinics are the best. I've been to two and at the last day of both of them I was roping the best I have in my entire life. I was "chucking and ducking" like the good ropers around here.