The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   What bit size should I be looking for? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/what-bit-size-should-i-looking-166682/)

Baylee 04-01-2013 09:46 PM

What bit size should I be looking for?

4 Attachment(s)
For those of you who were on earlier today, I had posted a question about if the bit I was using fit my horse properly. She has been using a 5 inch loose ring snaffle but it just fits snug and has not extra room on the outside of her mouth, as shown in the pictures.

I got some advice from a very helpful member earlier and she recommended going at least a half inch bigger (bigger as in bit size). I know there has to be or *should* be at least a thumb sized space(about 1/2 inch) between the side of your horse's mouth and where the bit 'ends'/meets the bridle.

So my question is, should I look for a 5 1/2 inch snaffle or just get a 6 inch snaffle? I am leaning towards a 6 inch but thought I should get some other opinions first :)

Thanks for the help! :D

JustDressageIt 04-01-2013 09:48 PM

How big is your horse? 5 1/2 is quite large, 6" is into the oversize/draft category. You don't need 1/2" on either side of the bit, but fit a pinkie finger width on either side.
Posted via Mobile Device

Baylee 04-01-2013 10:28 PM

She's a 14 hand Quarter Horse. If 5 1/2 is still large, would something like 5 3/4 work? I've been trying to read up on bits and sizes but i'm still learning about them ;)

tinaev 04-01-2013 11:32 PM

My horse has an abnormally large sized mouth too, he requires a 6 1/4 inch bit. Because larger sizes are harder to find and more expensive, I measured his mouth. There's a lot of guides online as to how to do this, but basically I took a wooden dowel and put it in his mouth where the bit would go and marked the ends. I believe what I read online said to leave 1/2" extra on top of the measurement.

Skyseternalangel 04-01-2013 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baylee (Post 2099554)
She's a 14 hand Quarter Horse. If 5 1/2 is still large, would something like 5 3/4 work? I've been trying to read up on bits and sizes but i'm still learning about them ;)

5 3/4 is larger than 5 1/2....

I'd try 5 1/2 first, if that's too big then maybe 5 1/4 if you can find one that size.

But honestly save yourself some trouble and measure with a string for the right size. Obviously 5" isn't right.

Bobthebuilder 04-02-2013 02:05 AM

6" seems a bit excessive. Plus big bits like that are nigh impossible to find. I say 5 and a half should probably be about right :)

Baylee 04-02-2013 09:41 PM

Alright, I'll look for 5 and a half this weekend- thanks for all the help! :)

RATHER BE RIDING 04-02-2013 09:48 PM

Fitting your horse with a bit is not a guessing game. Like Skyseternalangel said measure with a string first. Take any piece of string and put it in your horses mouth where the bit would sit. Hold the string on both sides of the horses mouth and then remove and measure the distance between your two hands. This is the size bit that you need.