The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Horse is bad about the medications (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/horse-bad-about-medications-16673/)

kitten_Val 10-28-2008 06:38 AM

Horse is bad about the medications

I'm having problems putting an ointment on my paint's nose (she is really good at cutting it there once a month or so). She let me clean it with wet napkin, peroxid, etc, but as long as I try to put an ointment on she go nuts: waives her head, shakes it, and try to avoid my finger with cream on it on her best. The ointment I'm using doesn't smell strong (it's Horseman Dream), not sticky, doesn't burn, so I absolutely cannot understand what is the problem here. As long as I'm done with it she lets me touch her and pet her all over the head, so it's NOT a head shyness. Any ideas why it can be a problem and how to solve it?

iridehorses 10-28-2008 06:57 AM

Kitten, what may an unobjectional odor or texture to you may be highly objectional to her. Try switching to a different ointment such as Furasol or Corona.

kitten_Val 10-28-2008 09:02 AM

Thanks, iride. Does furasol smells? I kinda remember corona smells pretty bad. I may be wrong though... Horseman Dream works like a dream, that's why I really like it. :-) Would be pretty sad to switch to something else. I actually have Tricare too (I believe) and that smell is kiling even me! :shock: Will give it a try.

iridehorses 10-28-2008 09:09 AM

Furasol is pretty much odorless. I've been using it for ~30 years for anything topical and never had a problem with it.

SonnyWimps 10-28-2008 10:59 AM

when I had to put Desitine on my horse's nose because of sun-burns he's also fight me for it. Horseman's Dream does have an odor (a pleasant odor I think :D) but to a horse it could be extremely strong smelling.
I know my horse didn't like the feel of the stuff on his nose, so that's why he was fighting back.

Are you holding her with her halter on? If not I suggest it. Though she may not like it, it is for her better good. Have a friend or family member hold some treats and while you put it on her have them give her treats...so she associates that with something good.

Also, on a side note, depending on what part of the country your at, flies really like it and so do other typse of bugs. So if you are at a buggy part of the year, covering it up with SWAT will also help heal it.

kitten_Val 10-28-2008 11:58 AM

Thanks, Sonny! If I'll ask someone to help that will be a disaster. :D Yes, I agree Horseman Dream has an odor (but nearly not as strong as some other stuff I have). I tried human ointment too, but with the same result. Oh, well... I guess will just keep fighting...

SonnyWimps 10-28-2008 03:38 PM

how exactly is she cutting up her nose? could it be sun burns that is scabbing over then cracking? That's what Sonny got.

NorthernMama 10-28-2008 08:58 PM

If the cut isn't deep, why not use polysporin available for humans?

kitten_Val 10-29-2008 06:34 AM

Sonny, it's not a burn. She's really good finding spots to scratch it up to the cut. Not sure she does it on trees or fence: I couldn't find the spot. :sad:

northernmama, she has the same issues with human medications too. You can kill me I don't understand what's the problem with putting any ointment on. VERY annoying...

kickshaw 10-29-2008 11:06 AM

what happens if you give her a cookie after she gets it done?
(i'm a very big believer in cookies :-) )