The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slowing down the walk

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Delregans Way 
#1 ·
My mare Wylee has always been a fast horse. She does everything fast and nothing slow, but lately she has been like speed walking everywhere!! Even when were just in the Arena she is always at the brink of starting to trot and i've tried stopping her, backing her up, circling, pulling back on the reins and she'll slow down for a couple seconds and then speed right back up! Do you have any idea's on how to stop this?

#4 ·
Try moving your body against her movement. Instead of following it with your hips, get a beat in your head and make yourself move to that beat. Also try half halting while do that (keeping pressure on the outside ride and holding and releasing the inside with no more pressure that whats on the outside). Good Luck

#6 ·
as you are walking, ask her to slow down for 3-5 steps at a time, reward and repeat. once she gets it, increase the "slow down" steps to 10-15, then 20-25. Ask with your seat first - sit deep and think "slow walk" - ask with your hands second. Be sure that you ask with a "give take" mentality and not a "pull straight back" mentality.

Circles will help, but make sure they aren't "spins" - purposefully plot and execute a circle, and make sure her shoulders stay under her and not to the outside.

I would advise against stopping/backing to slow one down...they are different cues entirely - and are not really related to a slower walk ;-)

good luck :)

#8 ·
Thanks everyone for the advice i'll definetely try them!!

Kickshaw- Would I just let her walk fast, then ask her to walk slow and praise her, then let her walk fast again? Then keep doing that until she stays slow? Sorry, sometimes I don't understand things!! lol

#9 ·
that's right - let her walk a "normal" speed, then ask her to slow down, praise, repeat. Start off by doing just a few steps at a time, then gradually over a couple of rides ask her to hold it for more - pretty soon she'll be in "slow mo" all the time ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.