The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   long mane - being rubbed by her rug (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/long-mane-being-rubbed-her-rug-16697/)

jazzyrider 10-28-2008 08:49 PM

long mane - being rubbed by her rug

1 Attachment(s)
i think ive come across the first thing im going to dislike about my new mares long mane. she hasnt been rugged for i dont know how long but last night i put a light fly sheet on her. i pulled her mane out from where the rug sits on her shoulder but it made its way back under the rug at some point during the night. then this morning that little section of hair had some broken bits :sad:

my question is can i cut the mane that covers her wither without it looking silly? ive drawn an arrow on the pic to show the bit i mean

Dumas'_Grrrl 10-28-2008 09:18 PM

With as much hair as she has I don't know that it would be that noticable right off. If you keep it tidy, it shouldn't look that bad.

This is form vs. function. What about the saddle pad? Oh..wait...You're riding english right? Maybe the pad wouldn't get into that hair....I dunno...never mind this last bit. I'm in a benadryl haze!!! :roll:

jazzyrider 10-28-2008 09:24 PM

lol yeah i ride english the saddle blanket covered it a bit but when i moved it out it stayed out :wink:

my plan is maybe cut it a little further along and then just leave it in plaits so things like her rug wont effect it as much. even though its summer she needs to have a fly sheet on at night. im just worried that it might look goofy if i do do that. maybe i could just see how it goes once its plaited for a while. there was only like a dozen broken hairs but thats where it starts lol

jazzyrider 10-29-2008 06:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
i cut a little of it off today. i did it bit by bit so i could see how it was going to look but it turned out okay. the saddle blanket doesn't cover her mane anymore :)

Dumas'_Grrrl 10-29-2008 11:27 AM

she looks good. it's not noticable from this camera angle.:D

kickshaw 10-29-2008 01:15 PM

looks good!

hope it works!

Painted Ride 10-29-2008 01:30 PM

put a slinky on her b4 you put the rug on...this should help with her mane staying in place...ie...

http://www.dunhaven.net/images/220_bluestellar1.JPG

kickshaw 10-29-2008 03:12 PM

i bet she would be pretty hot with a flysheet and a sleezy though - although the sleezy will work wonders in the winter!

jazzyrider 10-29-2008 05:49 PM

yeah i cant put a sleezy on her at the moment. its getting too warm now. thats another reason i went the option of plaiting her mane. she was sooo sweaty under her mane yesterday. i think ill have to keep it plaited all summer judging by yesterday.

Delregans Way 10-29-2008 09:07 PM

Plaiting her mane should work.. [running plait]
Long mane annoys me lol