The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   when to use a horse blanket (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/when-use-horse-blanket-16702/)

nldiaz66 10-28-2008 10:33 PM

when to use a horse blanket

I was wondering at what temperture do you put a blanket on your horses, or does it just depend on the horse if he is cold or not?? How do you know if your horse is cold? we have a cold front coming in and its suppose to be in the lower 30's and frost, I live in Florida so we dont get alot of cold weather but I was just wondering. Thanks

PoptartShop 10-28-2008 10:36 PM

If it's really cold, I usually blanket my horse. :) Some horses (that have thick winter coats) usually don't need to be blanketed as often, but some do anyway. In the winter I always blanket, esp. cold nights! I think if it's about under freezing (30-) then blanketing is good. :D
If it's too cold for me to be standing outside then I blanket.

nldiaz66 10-28-2008 10:40 PM

how do you know if the horse is cold? I have a paint, which his coat has gotten thick and longer. I have a arabian, which I think his skin is thinner(than the paint horse) wrong or right?

Appyt 10-28-2008 11:17 PM

A cold horse will shiver. A healthy horse kept outside with shelter available should be able to withstand the elements as long as they don't get soaked to the skin. Mine are not blanketed unless one is shivering, then usually only to get them warmed back up. That is usually due to getting soaked with cold rain. Wind is a factor also. Bitter wind with no shelter can make a horse cold. Most horses like it cold, just an FYI for you. Oh, I do blanket my 29 yr old appy when I keep him in if a cold wind is blowing into the barn. But it's rare.

So really it depends on where you keep your horse and the hair he grows. A finer haired/skined arab may chill easier than a honkin fat qh(like mine)..

hotreddun 10-29-2008 12:01 PM

I blanket if it is below 45 with winds over 10 mph...or below 39 and not windy. And probably more importantly I go out at 10 pm and give another flake of hay...if they have something in their gut digestion warms them up.

servinator 10-29-2008 12:54 PM

I don't blanket my horses at all because they have free run-in. I just give them xtra hay. I have a TB with a thin coat and she's never shivered, even in the terrible upstate NY weather (3 inches of snow last night IN OCTOBER??!!) Interestingly, in the summer I have to muck their stalls every day because they are inside so much, in the winter I can go 2 or 3 days sometimes and they've hardly gone in at all. They prefer the cold weather. I agree though, if they get wet to the skin, you have to warm them up.

Supermane 10-29-2008 01:01 PM

I blanket my gelding whenever it's under 50 degrees, though my horse clipped and thin skinned. We tend to over-blanket anyway because I show all winter.

appylover31803 10-29-2008 03:13 PM

All my guys were blanketed last year, but this year I have decided not to blanket them.
They are inside if the weather is really bad (Like yesterday) but if it's nice out, they're outside (but they do come inside in the winter)
All three of them are getting a nice thick winter coat.

kickshaw 10-29-2008 03:18 PM

we're in georgia, and my older guys wear blankets if the temp is below 40 (i know i know, for most of you that's really warm), well sheets until 37 and then a lightweight stable blanket until 32, and then a heavier blanket below 32. my guys grow a pretty thick coat, but they shiver, and they're old, and they need my help... :-)