The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   seperating from the herd at night (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/seperating-herd-night-16708/)

jazzyrider 10-28-2008 11:43 PM

seperating from the herd at night

what is your guys opinion on seperating a horse from their herd over night? my new girl is living in the paddock next door to the pony club for the first month but for many reasons i want to leave her in a seperate little paddock by herself at night. is it bad to keep seperating her then putting her back in the herd?

she settled in really well this morning when i let her out. fortunately all the horses over there are very friendly and the heirachy was established without one single bite or kick by anyone.

thanks in advance :D

Bitless 10-29-2008 12:40 AM

It would proberly be alright, more so if shes kept next door to them over night while sperate...she should be fine.

the only thing to watch is if she starts to antisipate the seeing you with taken her away from her friends. She could end up not wanting to come to you, or getting pushy in the mornings when you go to put her in with her friends.

Also be aware of if any other new horses are added to the mix as the heirachy could be thrown a little with the new more permanent horse and the constant change of your horse.

But other wise i would think it would be okies 8-).

jazzyrider 10-29-2008 12:45 AM

yeah her little paddock is a sectioned off area thats in the main paddock. she could still see everyone :wink:

Dumas'_Grrrl 10-29-2008 12:00 PM

I don't see a problem with it... She'll let you know if there is!

Painted Ride 10-29-2008 12:06 PM

thats exactly what were doing with my hew girl. every week we put another horse with her. she has the potion to "talk" to them over the fence but not full on "play" just yet. she is doing well with the transition. good luck!

SonnyWimps 10-29-2008 01:38 PM

I wouldn't see a problem with is since you said it was right next door to everyone.

kickshaw 10-29-2008 04:08 PM

i dont see a problem with it, but i also don't see a problem with letting her stay there overnight...just me i guess :-)

jazzyrider 10-29-2008 05:55 PM

^^^ 1. there is no fence along the backline of the property it is just lined with trees. her being in there during the day is one thing but i dont want her wandering around all night and finding the spot where the fence is down. there are 20 horses in her paddock which is 180acres and none of them have found their way out yet but knowing my luck she would be the first :)

2. young, drunk locals have been known to go into that paddock and mess with the horses. if she is away from that environment she isnt going to have some nutbag trying to ride her or do something else "entertaining" with her.

there are more reasons but thats all i can be bothered typing lol she will be moving over to the pony club in a couple of weeks anyway. i got the phone call yesterday that a spot was available for her on our grounds soon :D

dumas - im 100% sure she would :wink:

kickshaw 10-29-2008 11:29 PM

aha, gotcha. she should be absolutely fine.

drunk locals, eh? that sounds interesting...:lol:

jazzyrider 10-30-2008 06:46 AM

hmmm yeah! for some reason they dont mess with the pony club horses (maybe cause jarreds here and he can be scary lol). because of there being no back fence i think that attracts people as its easier to get in.

im going to let her go in the pony club tomorrow anyways. i can put her there whenever i want now. we had an unexpected exit of a horse from the property last night so i can put her in there whenever i want. ive left her with cougar in the sick paddock tonight and im going to let her go in the pony club tomorrow. i wont have to worry about anything then other than possum beating her up :roll: she really isnt impressed with her new sister lol