The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack Reviews (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/)
-   -   Other Options to SMB boots?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/other-options-smb-boots-167137/)

MudPaint 04-02-2013 01:14 PM

Other Options to SMB boots??

I was recommended by my vet to wear boots that supported my horses hind leg suspensory tendons when working. Her recommendation was SMB boots or something similar.

I followed their sizing guides, ordered large... I'm not happy with the fit of the SMB III. They sag at his ankles after a work out. They looked great when I tried them on, or I wouldn't have gotten the darn things dirty in the ring. I have old Mediums of the original SMBs and are much too small around his ankle.

Are there any other options out there to support him especially during jumping and XC?

On another note, anyone interested in 4 SMBIII boots, two used once, two never touched?

NBEventer 04-02-2013 01:21 PM

What about the Pegasus Airboots? XT new Product intro

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 04-03-2013 12:59 AM

I like my legacy boots though I hardly use boots...

MudPaint 04-03-2013 04:26 PM

I saw those airboots at the Expo. Has anyone had experience with them?

equiniphile 04-03-2013 04:38 PM

Try the Pro Choice SMB Elites. They conform to the legs much better; I find that the IIs and IIIs are very bulky. If you want something more breathable, I suggest the Premier Equine Air-Cooled eventing boots, but I don't think they offer as much support as the Pro Choice SMBs.

MudPaint 04-03-2013 04:43 PM

No they don't offer the support I'm looking for. Essentially I need something that wraps around the bottom of the fetlock. Most eventing boots only protect the cannon bone area and from knocks on the inside of the ankles.

NBEventer 04-03-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudPaint (Post 2118258)
No they don't offer the support I'm looking for. Essentially I need something that wraps around the bottom of the fetlock. Most eventing boots only protect the cannon bone area and from knocks on the inside of the ankles.

There are a few members here who sing praises of the air boots. I haven't personally used them so I can't vouch for them. But from what i've read and heard they are nice boots that are great for eventing and are way better then the SMB's. I can't stand SMB boots. I have tried them all and hate them.

jaydee 04-03-2013 05:47 PM

I like the Pegasus boots but I've just got some Iconoclast suspensory support boots today to try after my vet recommended them (he's had good reports about them) They seem to have more support than any of the others I have and a different design fastening that should make them better.
Not had chance to ride in them yet

COWCHICK77 04-03-2013 08:03 PM

I have been curious about the Iconoclast boots, would love to hear a review from you after you try them :)

jaydee 04-04-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COWCHICK77 (Post 2120194)
I have been curious about the Iconoclast boots, would love to hear a review from you after you try them :)

First impressions -
After I'd gotten over my Velcro temper tantrum
They definitely give more support/protection to the sesamoid area and suspensory ligaments because of the wedge that's built into them and the fastening style if that's what anyone's looking for (I was) but if you want a boot that just generally protects and gives overall support to the whole leg I wouldn't say they were any better than the others in my collection though they do seem to stay up the leg better and not sag
Would I say any of these boots would be great for eventing? I'm not thinking so because they do have a tendency to soak up water and go 'heavy' - the Pegasus boots not so much but I wouldn't want to ride in really muddy conditions in any of them