The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Critique my gray Paint mare? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/critique-my-gray-paint-mare-167209/)

TerciopeladoCaballo 04-02-2013 04:04 PM

Critique my gray Paint mare?

I feel like we've made good progress under saddle. The jigging was almost entirely gone and then we ran out of her liniment and MSM for a week and she crapped out o_o She tends to run away from her hind legs to avoid using them when they're sore, hopefully by the horse show date next week she won't be sore from the hock arthritis. She's a 12yo Paint, 15.2hh, has some Arabian and Thoroughbred in her from about 3 generations back. I'm using her primarily for English Eventing in novice levels, in-hand show, and trail. When she was a Western mount, she was a serious competitor in the barrel ring, so I want to go for speed events next year ;)

PREVIOUS:
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...31721321_n.jpg

This week:
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...46379469_n.jpg

So how are her angles and overall condition? For condition, is there any improvement since some months ago?

TerciopeladoCaballo 04-04-2013 12:33 PM

*Bump :3

CCH 04-04-2013 12:41 PM

Is your mare a cribber?

bhorselover 04-04-2013 03:31 PM

shes cute needs some fat and muscle on her though

TerciopeladoCaballo 04-04-2013 04:29 PM

CCH- no, she doesn't have any stall vices. Well-behaved yet sneaky booger. I think the somewhat odd neck muscle is because she is downhill built and isn't completely out of her habit of leaning on the forehand.

It's so strange to me that she actually needs fat! She's always been an easy keeper, but with the lack of rain we've had she doesn't have much grass to get fat on as per usual. I give her 3 flakes T&A and about 5 flakes coastal hay every day with 1 quart of 12% grain. Maybe I should bump up the protein level to help muscle? Or more hay?

CCH 04-04-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerciopeladoCaballo (Post 2129506)
CCH- no, she doesn't have any stall vices. Well-behaved yet sneaky booger. I think the somewhat odd neck muscle is because she is downhill built and isn't completely out of her habit of leaning on the forehand.

It's so strange to me that she actually needs fat! She's always been an easy keeper, but with the lack of rain we've had she doesn't have much grass to get fat on as per usual. I give her 3 flakes T&A and about 5 flakes coastal hay every day with 1 quart of 12% grain. Maybe I should bump up the protein level to help muscle? Or more hay?

I only asked because the underside of her neck is over-developed compared to the topline of her neck. This is common in cribbing horses. If you're working to build the top back up, you might want to look into working long & low over ground poles or cavaletti. Usually at a walk/trot to encourage her to lift her abdomen and legs while rounding her back & stretching down with her neck.

PurpleMonkeyWrench 04-04-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhorselover (Post 2128714)
shes cute needs some fat and muscle on her though

I don't think she needs more fat at all her weight looks pretty good to me.

oops I was going by the previous picture lol yea maybe a little more weight =D

bhorselover 04-04-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PurpleMonkeyWrench (Post 2130066)
I don't think she needs more fat at all her weight looks pretty good to me.

oops I was going by the previous picture lol yea maybe a little more weight =D

In the second pic you can see her ribs and her tail bone is showing more then it should.

PurpleMonkeyWrench 04-04-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhorselover (Post 2130098)
In the second pic you can see her ribs and her tail bone is showing more then it should.

i know thats why I edited my post saying I made my judgement off of the first photo.

bhorselover 04-04-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PurpleMonkeyWrench (Post 2130154)
i know thats why I edited my post saying I made my judgement off of the first photo.

Oh sorry didnt see that :-) ya in the first photo she looks great