The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   My saddle dilemma (decisions, decisions!) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/my-saddle-dilemma-decisions-decisions-167449/)

hellothere 04-03-2013 12:13 AM

My saddle dilemma (decisions, decisions!)

So basically, I had a Stubben Siegfried, an old all purpose saddle with a medium tree for a while, but I recently consigned it. It was a bit too tight anyway and I'm getting into dressage.

Anyway, I've been fortunate that at the stable, someone has been letting me borrow their Duet Largo dressage saddle for the past few months. It fits my horse well, although she is still somewhat young and I hope that the sizing doesn't change too much because now she's in a wide. I have the opportunity to purchase this saddle for $800, and she originally purchased it for $900. My trainer, who has ridden in numerous saddles as you can imagine, really likes the saddle and its quality, and he rides in it and really likes it. He also thinks it fits her well. I like the saddle too.

My dream saddle has been the Marcel Toulouse, I think the Aachen dressage. The leather is dreamy, it is so soft, and for around $1600, I could get the changeable gullet just in case I 1) was riding another horse or 2) my horse changes (the more likely and my bigger concern).

The problem is, we are on a budget and to be honest, the $800 is an expensive saddle already. In the midst of all of the other expenses of horse ownership, new tack is something that can really burn a hole in my pocket. I really like the Duet, and my family will be purchasing the saddle for me and I don't want to steal all of their money buying the most expensive saddle. But, the Aachen has been my dream saddle, and I love the fact that it is adjustable.. although twice as expensive.

The saddle (at least the Duet) was supposed to be a birthday present for me, and my birthday is next week... I'd prefer to know at least soon so I kind of get an idea of what I'm doing.

Skyseternalangel 04-04-2013 12:22 AM

Better to buy a saddle that fits your horse than dream about a saddle that's "adjustable" that may not work.

You can always save for the nicer (to you) saddle and sell the other one later. But honestly I'd go with the $800 one. A good saddle is hard to find.

Saddlebag 04-04-2013 08:09 PM

Always buy the absolute best your can as it makes quite a difference. Should your filly outgrow it in a year or two it should hold it's value. You could offer $750. Have you checked the internet to see how the same used model sells for?