The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   My great uncle's rule still stands. For the first time I'm actually proud of him! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/my-great-uncles-rule-still-stands-167690/)

Britt 04-03-2013 12:22 PM

My great uncle's rule still stands. For the first time I'm actually proud of him!

A few months ago, my sixteen year old cousin got caught trying to teach her grandpa's young mare to rear up by jerking back on the hackamore as hard as she could and kicking her in the sides at the same time.

When my great uncle was told, he banned my cousin from riding any of our horses (his two mares, her mothers mare, and she knows she isn't allowed to ride my horses, so that wasn't a problem in the first place) and has been seriously debating selling the mare she tried to make rear up, because that horse will also pull a cart and a plow and my great uncle isn't physically able to get out and work with the horses anymore. Usually, when he gets mad like that and ''ban's'' someone from the horses, it only lasts a few weeks at most...

But I'm pleased to say that he's held firm in his rule that my cousin isn't allowed to ride any of the horses in our pastures. It's been several months and he hasn't budged, no matter how much she asks.

She's been having to ride her friends gelding, and she knows better than to try and 'teach' that horse to rear. She'd lose those riding priveleges as well as a friend.

I think she's learned her lesson, though... don't try to 'teach' things to a horse that doesn't belong to you and be grateful that you're allowed to ride horses at all.

wetrain17 04-03-2013 12:43 PM

I can't say I would ever allow her to touch my horses again either, family or not. She should be thankful she or the horse did not get hurt that day.

jaydee 04-03-2013 12:50 PM

You're grt uncle sounds to be a wise man and its good that you've used him as a positive influence in your own way of thinking.

Britt 04-03-2013 10:49 PM

Surprisingly, no.

This is the first time he's ever done anything really good for/with the horses, actually. If I let him influence me in my way of thinking, then I can guarantee I've be a neglectful and sometimes abusive/mean horse owner who tought it was either my way or the highway. I try to be as opposite my great uncle as possible.

Thunderspark 04-04-2013 12:19 AM

People change sometimes....what your uncle did by banning her from riding is a good thing.....

jaydee 04-04-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Britt (Post 2121642)
Surprisingly, no.

This is the first time he's ever done anything really good for/with the horses, actually. If I let him influence me in my way of thinking, then I can guarantee I've be a neglectful and sometimes abusive/mean horse owner who tought it was either my way or the highway. I try to be as opposite my great uncle as possible.

Maybe your caring attitude is rubbing off on him then especially if he can see that its having good results - you can but hope!!!

Stan 04-04-2013 03:20 PM

Any one who teaches any animal to act in a manner that will harm unsuspecting others is a danger not only to themself but to all who have any contact. That person trying to teach a horse to rear has placed any other rider in harms way which could cause not only injury but even death. It is not far from rearing to going over backwards.

To ride anothers horse is a privlege, not a right, and strict unspoken rules are to be followed. Ride the horse only.

Anyone who is lucky enough to ride my horses does so on the understanding its a ride only. I have stopped a close friends daughter from riding all because she was to rough when mounting and would sit down with so much force the horse would react.

Back to the person trying to teach the horse to rear. She should never be allowed near a horse again. Not only did she place other riders in harms way she could also have taught the horse an action that made it dangerous to all, and need to be destroyed.