The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Horseshoes? (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/horseshoes-167698/)

gamingirl22 04-03-2013 12:42 PM

Horseshoes?

Gamers: Do you shoe your horses or not? What is your opinion?

SorrelHorse 04-03-2013 02:10 PM

Yes, I shoe. Selena gets just regular shoes on the front and either 3/4 or half sliders on the hind.

BarrelRacingLvr 04-03-2013 02:12 PM

Yes we have always put shoes on our Performance horses, steel rims on all 4 feet. Are horses are ran on all different kinds of ground, have to travel over asphalt and gravel and stand for long periods. So I want to be sure my horses are going to be able to handle the types of ground they run on, and they wouldn't handled it the best if they were barefoot.

It really is a personal preference....
Posted via Mobile Device

beau159 04-03-2013 04:03 PM

At this point, none of my horses have ever been shoed. They've all had good feet and haven't needed them. Granted, I don't haul to places where you are required to warm up on rocks and run on trashy rodeo ground.

However, if I ever do get to the point where I can start hauling to amateur rodeos and get really competitive, then I will shoe for the purpose of TRACTION.

barrelracer21 04-03-2013 04:10 PM

I shoe. I just think it's better for the grounds that my performance horses sometimes have to work on.

BarrelRacer23 04-03-2013 04:39 PM

My horses are shod. Rims on front normal plates in back. Right now only my main horse has shoes on, my 3 year old is barefoot for now.

I think it's better for the horse, especially when being ride daily and hauled most weekends.
Posted via Mobile Device

MangoRoX87 04-03-2013 09:01 PM

Rosie has never had any foot problems, Sassy was shoed to correct some bad trim jobs, Dusty had baby sliders on once, and Playboy is kept front shod with sliders.

I prefer not to ride Rosie with shoes because her feet are strong and in great shape as they are. Sassy also has great feet and she overreaches a lot and I don't want for her to hurt herself pulling a front shoe off.

The ground around here doesn't necessitate needing shoes either. I've never even HEARD of a rodeo were you have to warm up on gravel though? Most rodeos around here you can warm up in the arena before the rodeo..

QHriderKE 04-03-2013 09:32 PM

I've only gotten horses shoed to stop bad cracks and such.
My horses all have good feet and there is no rocks where I live
.. its all just sand.

Now if I lived where the land is rocky id start shoeing.

COWCHICK77 04-03-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SorrelHorse (Post 2116602)
Yes, I shoe. Selena gets just regular shoes on the front and either 3/4 or half sliders on the hind.

Have you ran her since you got the sliders on? How did she feel?

SorrelHorse 04-04-2013 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COWCHICK77 (Post 2121482)
Have you ran her since you got the sliders on? How did she feel?

That's right, I meant to update you guys on this!
We decided not to go with full sliders after all, but so far she feels really good! Not quite as hard to sit going into the turn because she can get a smoother rate now.

Only made a couple practice runs at home but going to the first gymkhana of the summer season next weekend to run her. Very excited!

Had one of the girls who pro rodeos around here tell me her up and coming colt got full sliders and shaved two seconds off his times :shock: She said Selena was that type of horse too. If I didn't trust my farrier, her opinion would of sold me.