The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Conformation for a barrel prospect? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/conformation-barrel-prospect-167842/)

harleyboiirun 04-03-2013 05:13 PM

Conformation for a barrel prospect?

5 Attachment(s)
What do you guys think of this mares conformation for barrel racing? 7 years old, quarter horse.

Attachment 148274

Attachment 148298

Attachment 148306

equiniphile 04-03-2013 05:19 PM

Love her shoulder, nice depth of girth, and relatively strong coupling. Strong topline up until the hunter's bump/goose rump.....that's something you might want to check out; it could be from an old injury or it could just be her conformation. Feet look like they may need some correction done by a competent farrier, but it's hard to tell from the pictures. As she's not squared up, it's hard to get a decent look at her hind legs, but from what I can see she has nice gaskins and correct angles.

DraftyAiresMum 04-03-2013 05:19 PM

That hunter's bump is scary! :shock:

Her back is a bit long, as well.

The only thing I really like about her is her front legs, TBH.
Posted via Mobile Device

harleyboiirun 04-03-2013 05:21 PM

ok, I thought her back looked a little weird too...like she got streched :P Wanted to make sure it wasn't just me!

TheLastUnicorn 04-03-2013 05:28 PM

I'm not totally convinced her back is all that long, but while she might be perfectly willing to run barrels for you, I don't like her hindquarter construction for that sport.

Her pelvic angle is just not really ideal for propelling the horse forward, nor is it really great for the ability to rock back and turn. On top of that, she does appear to have a hunters bump of some sort - for some horses it indicates injury (especially to the SI joints) for others it is simply a part of their conformation, either way, it is considered a somewhat serious fault (often because of the fact it does tend to signify some unsoundness or being prone to unsoundness)