The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Vitamin mineral mixes? or ration balancer (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/vitamin-mineral-mixes-ration-balancer-167858/)

4horses 04-03-2013 06:25 PM

Vitamin mineral mixes? or ration balancer

Can anyone recommend a good vitamin mineral mix or ration balancer?

Currently we are feeding Empower ration balancer but it is almost $50 a month for 2 bags.

I noticed buckeye has some vitamin mineral mixes but when I called around none of the local feed stores carry it.

Both my horses are easy keepers (and one is prone to ulcers) so I am trying to keep them on a low grain diet. They get fed free choice coastal, which meets most of their needs except for copper zinc and Vit A/E.

verona1016 04-03-2013 07:11 PM

I really like Triple Crown 30% Supplement.

Just as a warning- it does cost more per bag than Empower Balance, but the bags contain more (50 lbs vs. 40 lbs) and it's more nutritionally dense. For my horse, I would have had to feed 1.5 lb of EB -or- 1 lb of TC30, which meant that TC30 actually came out cheaper.

For the things you said you were most interested in: TC30 has 2x as much Vitamin A per pound, 1.7x Vitamin E, 1.2x Copper, and 1.25x Zinc.

loosie 04-03-2013 09:28 PM

No one can recommend an *appropriate* supplement for your horse without first knowing the diet & some details about the horse. For eg. what's in your hay/pasture/soil, to have an idea of what the horse may be lacking? What else is he fed? Does the horse get/need 'hard feeding', or is he an 'easy keeper' that can't afford more calories, so you want something very low dose, low fat & carbs?

4horses 04-04-2013 01:51 AM

I already listed what this area is low in: Cu, Zn, vit A and vit. E

I'll take a look at the triple crown. It sounds promising! Thanks!

4horses 04-05-2013 04:39 PM

anyone else have some ideas?

Ray MacDonald 04-05-2013 04:44 PM

Do you have a free choice mineral block and salt block?