The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Poco Bueno? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/poco-bueno-167938/)

SassyLittleHorse 04-03-2013 07:29 PM

Poco Bueno?

I hear a lot of mean things about Poco Buenos. I just wanted to know if these mean things are true like "Bucking horses." "To stubborn to train." "Small." "A dime a dozen.". I need to hear good things about them??? If there is any!

Thanks!

Faceman 04-03-2013 07:46 PM

Well, he was 15 hands - most cutters are relatively short.

Honestly, there aren't many "PB horses" any longer unless they have 4 or 5 or more runs with at least 2 on both top and bottom...PBH died in 1969...

Saddlebag 04-03-2013 08:20 PM

I'd read that Poco Bueno was just under 14.2hh, technically a pony. I wonder which info is correct. OK, I just read Wiki and you're right - 15hh. It's funny, the only pics I ever saw of him were B&W so I thought he was a black.

dbarabians 04-03-2013 09:14 PM

Poco Bueno is one of the most influential Quarter Horses ever foaled.
I have never heard anything negative about Poco Bueno bred horses from any one in the ranching industry or cutting horses with the exception of HERDA
In fact Poco Bueno in the pedigree would be a plus for me. Shalom

farmpony84 04-03-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbarabians (Post 2120338)
Poco Bueno is one of the most influential Quarter Horses ever foaled.
I have never heard anything negative about Poco Bueno bred horses from any one in the ranching industry or cutting horses with the exception of HERDA
In fact Poco Bueno in the pedigree would be a plus for me. Shalom

Poco Bueno was definitely one of the most influential QH's. He was sired by King-P234 who was one of the huge names as well.

I have heard they have a mean buck and can be stubborn but the Poco Bueno in my horse it's 6 generations back behind Impressive who is also known for stubborn offspring. Mine isn't necessarily stubborn but he has his own mind. His mama is a bucker but she's also a witch so who knows....

dbarabians 04-03-2013 09:29 PM

When I lived in Wichita Falls one of the other therapist I worked with was raised on the WT Waggoner Estate. She used to ride Poco Bueno when she was a very young girl.
I have heard that Poco Lena was not a beginners horse so to speak.
Those foundation bred QHs though can buck and probably do indeed have a stubborn streak. Shalom

farmpony84 04-03-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbarabians (Post 2120602)
When I lived in Wichita Falls one of the other therapist I worked with was raised on the WT Waggoner Estate. She used to ride Poco Bueno when she was a very young girl.
I have heard that Poco Lena was not a beginners horse so to speak.
Those foundation bred QHs though can buck and probably do indeed have a stubborn streak. Shalom

They were built to last!

dbarabians 04-03-2013 09:39 PM

Built to last and versatile something todays QHs are sadly not being bred for IMO. Shalom

Palomine 04-03-2013 09:41 PM

People used to talk about how tough they were in terms of working, had a lot of heart. Cold backed to some degree, but many were of that era.

Good horses that had a lot of sense, smart, and knew their jobs.

https://www.google.com/search?q=poco...w=1366&bih=575

The link to pictures of him? Show a breathtakingly beautiful horse, stout, well built and clearly something to see, and desire.

I think anyone that has a horse that goes back to him is very very lucky.

MHFoundation Quarters 04-03-2013 10:01 PM

Here's my take from experience. My grandfather owned the last living son of Poco Dell (a son of Poco Bueno) so I've handled and rode a lot of PB bred horses. He also owned a son of Poco Pine (another son of Poco Bueno) and I've still got horses that are sons and daughters of both of them. Rode both of them as a kid. The Poco Dell stud was super smooth but never got the chance to ride him out of the arena, I was really young. The Poco Pine stud was a blast to ride, grandpa bought us kids some goats to practice 'cutting' on him.

They are very responsive and somewhat sensitive but it's a good quality in my book and for a performance horse it's a necessity. They do well with a clear, firm but fair leader but don't do well with being domineered, very willing when you show & tell what you want but can say no in a big way to aggressive force. Can't say we've ever had a chronic bucker, plenty that did the first time pushed into a lope but that is pretty norm and they can do it big if they want to. One that bucked like a top notch rodeo bronc but only when in heat. Can't remember any truly nasty ones. Then there's my old man that I just lost who if not rode consistently he would give you a pathetic version of a bucking fit - really pathetic, like 2 strides of pathetically smooth bucking and then settle into a nice working lope. Going to miss that :( Now scoot out from under you, oh yeah. Athletic and quick, on the rare occasion they spook they are doozies and you better have a darn good seat. Stubborn, yep until they know who's in charge. If you're smarter than your horse, they're great!

Smart enough to do a bit of everything with. My grandpa was a huge supporter of the "all-arounder". My reining mare was also my jumper and speed horse, wouldn't recommend that, the sliders with screw in cleats are a pita.