The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Horsehair Reins (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/horsehair-reins-16798/)

Curly_Horse_CMT 10-30-2008 09:55 PM

Horsehair Reins

I love using these! They can come in any color and it is a great way to use horsehair. A friend of mine had a show pair made out of the hair from a tail of a horse that she had to put down. It was a great way to remember him, I think. I think they are really nice to use (comfy in your hands) I havent even needed to use gloves with them. I have them in mecates with the slobber straps. Does anyone else have experience with these kinds of reins? Do you like them? Or not? :wink:

prbygenny 10-30-2008 10:28 PM

What the heck!! I have never heard of them I NEED PICTURES PLEASE!!! What a great thing to do for rememberence!!
Thanks

Dumas'_Grrrl 10-31-2008 10:32 AM

I have never heard anything but great reviews on horse hair reins...however...they are costly and I have never owned any.

iridehorses 10-31-2008 10:42 AM

I've had a pair and sold them some years ago. I can't remember which is more comfortable, mane or tail. The better one will break in and become soft to handle and the other one doesn't - I had the one that didn't and I had to use gloves. Hated them but would like to try the other kind if I can remember which one that is!

Curly_Horse_CMT 10-31-2008 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dumas'_Grrrl (Post 178044)
I have never heard anything but great reviews on horse hair reins...however...they are costly and I have never owned any.

Yeah, some of them are expensive. :wink: I got mine where they were barely used, and they were asking fifty for them but I got them down to twenty five. They were a steal. I heard that they are good for neck reining training, but I have never tried that. They last forever, though. Thats a plus. I hope mine last forever lol

Curly_Horse_CMT 10-31-2008 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prbygenny (Post 177789)
What the heck!! I have never heard of them I NEED PICTURES PLEASE!!! What a great thing to do for rememberence!!
Thanks

Here is a site about them. Google it and you can find more about them. :D

www.mecates.com

(Sorry about the double post)

kitten_Val 10-31-2008 11:46 AM

I agree with iride: I've seen them in local store and they were very stiff. Didn't feel good on hands. So I just go with nice soft leather ones... :wink:

Dumas'_Grrrl 10-31-2008 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iridehorses (Post 178051)
I've had a pair and sold them some years ago. I can't remember which is more comfortable, mane or tail. The better one will break in and become soft to handle and the other one doesn't - I had the one that didn't and I had to use gloves. Hated them but would like to try the other kind if I can remember which one that is!

Bill, I found the answer to your question on the website that was provided.... Here's the page :D Mane is good, tail is bad.

Making a Great Mecate

iridehorses 10-31-2008 12:14 PM

Thanks Amy.

(I have a few jokes about bad tail - hair that is ... but this isn't the place:wink: - [holds hand out so I can smacked with a ruler])

Painted Ride 10-31-2008 01:19 PM

i have ridden a bozel with the horse hair reins..i can onlt remember that they were very incomfortable. they are beautiful bbut i did not like using them.....that was 10 years ago and they may have changed by now...but i had to use gloves with them i do not have soft normal chick hands either.:???: