The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Favorite products for flys?!?! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/favorite-products-flys-168010/)

Kendall 04-03-2013 08:28 PM

Favorite products for flys?!?!

I can never find decent fly spray recipes to make or any store bought ones that actually work at keeping flys and gnats off. Does anyone have recipes or sprays they like to use that's safe?!?

Your help is appreciated. :D:lol::-)

Honeysuga 04-03-2013 08:42 PM

I cant remember to save my life the name but it comes in a black bottle with blue lable and yellow lid... lol. It worked great and was water and sweat proof. Just tie them a bit after you spray. If they roll when its wer,it takes forever to get that stuff out.
Posted via Mobile Device

6W Ranch 04-03-2013 09:10 PM

Pyranha spray is still my favorite, but I'm curious if there are some that last longer.

Honeysuga 04-03-2013 09:14 PM

*** Endure is the name of it! Just remembered.
Posted via Mobile Device

DraftyAiresMum 04-03-2013 09:20 PM

Rinse your horse with apple cider vinegar once a week. Did this with my gelding who was allergic to flies (as well as my friend's gelding who is also severely allergic to flies) and never had to fly spray them all summer.
Posted via Mobile Device

KyMoMoF3CuTiEs 04-03-2013 09:24 PM

Drafty, do you rub it on their head, ears, through their hair? I heard that somewhere else and was wondering because we have a bad fly problem here due to a trash dump and pig houses.
Posted via Mobile Device

DraftyAiresMum 04-03-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyMoMoF3CuTiEs (Post 2120522)
Drafty, do you rub it on their head, ears, through their hair? I heard that somewhere else and was wondering because we have a bad fly problem here due to a trash dump and pig houses.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nope. When you give them a bath, after you're done rinsing off the shampoo, mix about 1-2 cups of apple cider vinegar in a 2 gallon bucket with water and pour it over the horse. Refill the bucket with the ACV/water mixture as often as needed to cover the horse from ears to tail. For difficult to reach areas, like the head/ears and legs, use a big soft sponge.
Posted via Mobile Device

deserthorsewoman 04-03-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum (Post 2120562)
Nope. When you give them a bath, after you're done rinsing off the shampoo, mix about 1-2 cups of apple cider vinegar in a 2 gallon bucket with water and pour it over the horse. Refill the bucket with the ACV/water mixture as often as needed to cover the horse from ears to tail. For difficult to reach areas, like the head/ears and legs, use a big soft sponge.
Posted via Mobile Device

mosquitoes? You probably don't have any....I do.

I currently use Mosquito Halt. Wipe it on, it lasts about 20 hours and builds up.

I will try the ACV:-)

KyMoMoF3CuTiEs 04-03-2013 09:52 PM

What about bees? Are they attracted to ACV?
Posted via Mobile Device

DraftyAiresMum 04-03-2013 09:55 PM

DHW, we have mosquitoes, but probably not in the numbers you do. I've never had a problem with my horses being bitten by mosquitoes.

KyMoMo, I've never had bees attracted to the ACV, and we had a nest in our barn.
Posted via Mobile Device