The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Chipped hooves and shedding frog (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/chipped-hooves-shedding-frog-16817/)

equinkel 10-31-2008 08:16 AM

Chipped hooves and shedding frog

I've had my new OTTB for about 10 days. I don't have much experience in the hoof department so I'm looking for answers. I've heard about shedding frogs and it looks like my horse might have that happening to his left front hoof. It's come about half way off and looks healthy underneath. But I'm just not 100% sure that's what it is.
Also, I've ridden my horse about 6-7 times and I noticed yesterday there are some chips on the front of the rear hooves. He only has front shoes, none on the back. My guess is he is clipping his front hooves when we are trotting/cantering. What is the best remedy for this?

Appyt 10-31-2008 10:33 AM

The best remedy for the chipping on the front of a hoofwall is to take a rasp and from the top at an angle knock the chipped area down. :) Really it is that simple, it's not rocket science. lol

Yes the frog is shedding. They seem to do that spring and fall.

barefoothooves 10-31-2008 03:10 PM

The frog shedding is no big deal, either. Like AppyT says, tends to happen seasonally (spring and fall is typically the wetter seasons and when the hooves experience a growth spurt) but is more common in horses kept on softer turf. Rocky pastures I think tend to keep it exfoliated and if your farrier trims the frog, it won't ever shed off in one piece, either, so some horse owners never see it happen.

If he's clipping himself, he would have sore heels in the front, skinned heel bulbs or ripped off his shoes by now. He probably just needs a bevel on the wall to stop the chipping. TBs do tend to start breaking off sooner than other breeds. It's a sign they need a trim or the bevel or mustang roll, however you want to call it.

equinkel 11-01-2008 07:22 AM

Good info. I have not had a horse since I was 14 years old, so I'm pretty rusty. How long does the old frog stay on the foot, do you pull it off or does it come off on it's own? Also, do you think the rear chips could be coming from troting over ground polls. We just started and he his tripping over them a little in the back.

barefoothooves 11-01-2008 09:06 PM

The old frog can cling for a while.. when it's just barely hanging in there, some people just rip them on off with their hands (*ahem-AppyT*) It doesn't hurt anything. If you can rip it with your hand, it's going to come off on it's own soon anyways. LOL Otherwise, your farrier can take off the loose part so it's not catching on anything and the stubborn part will come off when it's ready, so you don't have the flappy part catching on anything.
Oh, the poles could do a little chip here and there, but well done bevel should prevent it, too.
Congratulations on getting back into horses! I hope it is a good experience for you!

Appyt 11-01-2008 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barefoothooves (Post 178880)
The old frog can cling for a while.. when it's just barely hanging in there, some people just rip them on off with their hands (*ahem-AppyT*) It doesn't hurt anything. If you can rip it with your hand, it's going to come off on it's own soon anyways. LOL Otherwise, your farrier can take off the loose part so it's not catching on anything and the stubborn part will come off when it's ready, so you don't have the flappy part catching on anything.
Oh, the poles could do a little chip here and there, but well done bevel should prevent it, too.
Congratulations on getting back into horses! I hope it is a good experience for you!

AHEM MY FOOT! If I can rip it off with my bare hand it's ready.. LOL *I do not advise trying to rip them by hand unless they come off very easily, btw.. That's what hoof knives are for.. Now, where did I leave mine? giggle.

barefoothooves 11-03-2008 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appyt (Post 178925)
AHEM MY FOOT! If I can rip it off with my bare hand it's ready.. LOL *I do not advise trying to rip them by hand unless they come off very easily, btw.. That's what hoof knives are for.. Now, where did I leave mine? giggle.

:-P!!!!!