The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Field boots...shiny? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/field-boots-shiny-168170/)

LikeaTB 04-03-2013 09:44 PM

Field boots...shiny?

I JUST got some Ariat Heritage Contour field boots (and I mean JUST, I got them yesterday :)) and they seem to have a finish on them that I guess protects them. Will this finish ever wear off to where they feel like leather, like a well broken in pair of paddock boots? Its not really glossy, but doesn't quite feel like leather. So will it wear/ they will feel more like leather as they break in? Thanks!

countercanter 04-04-2013 09:42 PM

That will go away as they break in.
Posted via Mobile Device

LikeaTB 04-04-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by countercanter (Post 2132130)
That will go away as they break in.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thank you! I was hoping it would :) Another question-the zipper at the back of the boots is a little bit off my leg in some spots of the right boot (my right calf is oddly less muscled than my left), what should I do about this? Earlier today I put a little bit of folded up paper towel in there to close the gap because the gap can make the leather be kind of weird. Will that stretch the boots? It didn't make it tights, just closed the gap. Will that problem go away after they break in?

countercanter 04-04-2013 09:59 PM

just break them in first and see what they do. Most people don't have even legs. My left leg is bigger than my right and I find with off the shelf boots I don't get a perfect fit. I have custom boots so I solved that problem but just give them a chance to break in.
Posted via Mobile Device

LikeaTB 04-05-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by countercanter (Post 2132330)
just break them in first and see what they do. Most people don't have even legs. My left leg is bigger than my right and I find with off the shelf boots I don't get a perfect fit. I have custom boots so I solved that problem but just give them a chance to break in.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks again! I've found that on day 4 of wearing them, they have gotten a little wider in the calf, with some more of a gap between my leg and the zipper, but not to where it falls down my leg or anything. Will it be alright?

countercanter 04-05-2013 09:24 PM

I wouldn't worry too much, but if they get too wide you can take them to a shoe and leather repair place and it would be pretty easy for them to take them in a little bit.
Posted via Mobile Device

LikeaTB 04-05-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by countercanter (Post 2140962)
I wouldn't worry too much, but if they get too wide you can take them to a shoe and leather repair place and it would be pretty easy for them to take them in a little bit.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm fine if they're a liiitttlle big because I do have a bit of growing left to do, hence the reason why I also ordered a little bit tall and got heel lifts.

Saddlebag 04-07-2013 10:30 AM

You would think after all these years of making boots, the makers would realize that all right handed people are larger on the left side, and make those small adjustments. Maybe wear a knee high on the smaller leg.

LikeaTB 04-07-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 2153161)
You would think after all these years of making boots, the makers would realize that all right handed people are larger on the left side, and make those small adjustments. Maybe wear a knee high on the smaller leg.

Thanks! With wearing a knee high, how thick should it be? I don't want to stretch the boot out too much.