The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Western Pleasure or Reining? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/western-pleasure-reining-16824/)

paintrider 10-31-2008 12:26 PM

Western Pleasure or Reining?

I recently purchased a 3yr old Paint Gelding. He is definitely rideable but not trained for anything specific. I am having a hard time deciding if I should train my horse for Western Pleasure or Reining. I have always loved riding Western Pleasure and Hunt Seat so that is what I'm comfortable with and what I'd like to do... but many people have suggested that b/c of my horse's breeding (Peppy San Badger/Doc Olena) he'd be better suited for something else. I owned a Zippo Pine Bar bred horse before this horse so I know what a "typical Western Pleasure horse" should look like and I think my new horse fits that look. Please share your thoughts!

farmpony84 10-31-2008 12:29 PM

it really depends on his body build... arent those reigning type bloodlines? He may have that thicker stockier body...that is meant for reigning and barrels and ranch work.

If you are showing in the big breed shows, it might matter, but depending on his way of movement, he may be able to do all of that stuff... He could be pretty versatile. If you are showing in more localized shows, I say do what you want. Otherwise, what you can do is figure out what suits him best and focus on that, then bring in the other stuff and aim for an all around horse. No reason you cant have the best of all worlds....

paintrider 10-31-2008 01:46 PM

As a 3 yr old, he is a smooth mover, has a small face, long neck, and drops his head, but he is heavier (not ribby) and shorter (at 14.3h) than most WP horses I've seen. I do think he will grow into himself quite a bit more.

FGRanch 10-31-2008 02:15 PM

I say go for reining, there is no better feeling the feeling your horse sit down and dig! Peppy San Badger horses and Doc Olena horses both make fantastic reiners or cutters!

paintrider 10-31-2008 02:36 PM

I know!! I'm so torn! :-P

FGRanch 10-31-2008 02:56 PM

Reining, reining, reining, reining! HEHE Peer pressure! :D JK

Painted Ride 10-31-2008 03:08 PM

whats stopping you? train him for both!!!! can you let us see him?

farmpony84 10-31-2008 03:14 PM

I agree w/ tbenitez. He will probably excel at reigning because of his breeding and body make-up, but he can probably handle some WP too....

paintrider 10-31-2008 03:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes! I believe that showing you the horse might help. I apologize b/c the picture I have is not great... it's a little blurry and he's standing funny, but hopefully this should work til I get a better pic! His name is Dino.

farmpony84 10-31-2008 03:28 PM

He's so cute! I believe you could do western pleasure on him. He's not the big 17hh long legged thing they are looking for these days, but I believe he could do it. Does he point his toes when he moves? Will he collect up and slow down for WP?