The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   NON gooseneck? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/non-gooseneck-168281/)

Horsequeen08 04-04-2013 01:11 AM

NON gooseneck?

So when it comes to trailers, I know next to nothing. I'm thinking/looking about buying one because I'm really really reallllly fed up with relying on other people to haul me to shows. I've never even gotten a chance to haul out for a trail ride despite my ever desire to do so. Anyway, I don't have a truck, but my bf has a small suv that can haul. But the back of the car is a "square" load, not a "ball" load (see, just by my terminology you can tell i've got no idea what i'm doing). Can anyone recommend a good trailer/brand for a square load not a ball load which I know is called a gooseneck?

waresbear 04-04-2013 01:16 AM

None, because SUV are not equipped to pull horse trailers. For one thing, the wheel base is such, if you had to turn or swerve sharply, you would flip.
Posted via Mobile Device

Muppetgirl 04-04-2013 01:19 AM

Hmmm you have me confused......what type of SUV is it? Because to haul a gooseneck you need a truck with a box, I thought SUVs were enclosed?

Are you meaning you need a bumper pull and just need to get a tow ball + hitch to put in the square hitch lock in the back of the SUV?

DraftyAiresMum 04-04-2013 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 2123441)
None, because SUV are not equipped to pull horse trailers. For one thing, the wheel base is such, if you had to turn or swerve sharply, you would flip.
Posted via Mobile Device

That depends on the SUV. I had a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer Extended with a longer wheelbase and hauled a 2-horse slant just fine. Suburbans and Expeditions are find for hauling, as well. However, I wouldn't probably haul with an Isuzu Rodeo or something that size.
Posted via Mobile Device

Horsequeen08 04-04-2013 01:24 AM

Wait so you can get a ball-hitch thing to put into a square shape on the back of the suv? It is for sure able to haul, he bought it with the intention of some day hauling a boat. But right now it is just an open square. Haha I'm just laughing at how little I know about these things. But I guess you gotta learn sometime!

Muppetgirl 04-04-2013 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horsequeen08 (Post 2123489)
Wait so you can get a ball-hitch thing to put into a square shape on the back of the suv? It is for sure able to haul, he bought it with the intention of some day hauling a boat. But right now it is just an open square. Haha I'm just laughing at how little I know about these things. But I guess you gotta learn sometime!

Yes you can buy a hitch and a ball to slide into that square in the back of your SUV!!! LOL too funny! The hitch needs to be rated for the load being pulled, and after a few calculations you can figure out your tow load capacity on your SUV. In fact you can go to the dealer or google it and find out on line. Also, hitches come in all shapes and sizes, so get some help choosing the correct size. Also think about how heavy the trailer will be, the tow capacity of the trailer etc etc.....you can also buy stabilizer bars that help reduce sway etc......

You may want to ask around and get someone to help you and show you correct hitching (ie. safety chains, brake away cable etc etc) being safe in towing is key!

Good luck:wink:

Horsequeen08 04-04-2013 01:45 AM

Well...now that just opened a whole new door for me. So is it better to find the trailer I want before buying the tow hitch/ball thingy? (still great use of terms, I know ;) ) Or is it better to do it the other way? Haha I'm still laughing at my complete ignorance. I've never owned a show horse until recently, so I've never had a need to trailer anywhere. Guess it is time to google trailers! :D Thanks!!!

Muppetgirl 04-04-2013 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horsequeen08 (Post 2123601)
Well...now that just opened a whole new door for me. So is it better to find the trailer I want before buying the tow hitch/ball thingy? (still great use of terms, I know ;) ) Or is it better to do it the other way? Haha I'm still laughing at my complete ignorance. I've never owned a show horse until recently, so I've never had a need to trailer anywhere. Guess it is time to google trailers! :D Thanks!!!

Haha! Just make sure you know what size/weight trailer your SUV is capable of towing.....and don't forget to add horse weight to your calculations......do that first, then buy the trailer......a hitch is easy to come by! You need a BUMPER PULL!! :lol:

DraftyAiresMum 04-04-2013 01:55 AM

Horsequeen, what kind of SUV do you have?
Posted via Mobile Device

Palomine 04-04-2013 05:16 AM

Also, any auto or farm store should have these, but you need to also know how much drop down you need, so trailer will be level.

Links to what you will need to look for. Hitch Adapters

Trailer Hitch Accessories For Towing,denver,littleton,colorado