The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   How much magnesium? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/how-much-magnesium-168362/)

poppy1356 04-04-2013 08:37 AM

How much magnesium?

So the more I read about this whole magnesium deficiency the more I wonder if Lizzy is getting enough. In fall just before winter came she would never spook. Maybe occasionally but it was very rare. In January I switched her from Red Cell to Vita Plus and about February going into March she has turned into this very spooky horse. Literally jumping at everything.

The Red Cell has 20mg of magnesium per serving and she was getting two ounces per day which I am guessing to be two servings since some only get one ounce.

The Vita Plus has 12.5mg per serving and she gets one serving in morning and one in night.

So thats 40mg per day compared to now 25mg per day. That seems like a huge difference and would that make the difference in her spookiness?? It has gotten so bad that she can't ride a few feet without spooking at something.

I'm attaching the links for both so you can see the comparision of everything else in it. I do not want to put her back on Red Cell.

Vita Plus - Horse Multi-Vitamin Supplements from SmartPak Equine

Red CellŪ - Horse Energy Supplements from SmartPak Equine

Cat 04-04-2013 08:41 AM

I just learned about the magnesium thing in my thread. I'd say try switching back or adding an extra magnesium supplement for 30 days like was suggested to me and see if there is a difference. Can't hurt to try. I will be absolutely thrilled if this works for Rascal.

poppy1356 04-04-2013 08:49 AM

I think I would rather try a magnesium supplement. I don't like the high iron content and such in Red Cell. Is there a good one that works? As long as it isn't outragously expensive I'm willing to try it. It's not even really fun to ride anymore because it's such a battle to keep all 4 feet on the ground and not flying sideways. And she was worked all winter so it's not from being out of work.

SueNH 04-04-2013 09:21 AM

For under $20 I was able to get a 50 lb bag of magnesium oxide.

The loading dose is 2 tsp for my 11 hand pony and then just on tsp a day. My 16 hand horse gets 2 tsp.

I'm not feeding it for a spook issue but rather IR issues. I don't see IR issues with the big horse but I do know the soils here are very Mag deficient so it can't hurt.

At the price of it I've got nothing to loose either. I do notice the pony is less puffy around the eyes. The middle horse, an older mare has a better topline going on.

Cat 04-04-2013 09:24 AM

I found a calm supplement at Tractor Supply that was $11 and you only feed a Tsp or two of it - so it will last a while for one horse.

poppy1356 04-04-2013 09:30 AM

Magnesium 5,000 - Equine Metabolic Supplements from SmartPak Equine

So does that look like a good product? I'm sure my local feed store will carry it or something just like it. I haven't seen the huge bags of it but my local store is usually cheaper than Smartpak anyway. Will probably split it with a friend and try her horse on it too.

I'm not sure what our soils are deficient in but my horse never gets pasture, only so-so grass hay and alfalfa pellets. She also is in bad need of a topline.

deserthorsewoman 04-04-2013 09:49 AM

I was the one suggesting the magnesium all over the place;-)
SueNH, you're lucky. I couldn't get the magox, was told it's not being sold, only used in feeds. So I stuck with Remission, I'm also giving it to an overweight horse to avoid IR. It's 20$ for 5 lbs, has 6000mg mag per ounce, and lasts a good 2 months on loading dose, more when you load only for a week, of course.
You also might want to Google "MagRestore", could be even more effective and has lots of info about magnesium. The magnesium in MagRestore is being absorbed better than the others, MagOx only 60%, I think. Best is MagChloride, but that's hard to find.

poppy1356 04-04-2013 09:57 AM

So I want to look for magnesium chloride? But if I can't magnesium oxide would work? What about that quessience stuff? If I spelled that right. I have to do something she jumps if the grass looks at her wrong. And it's just been gradually getting worse. I put it off as spring but yesterday was horrible.
Posted via Mobile Device

SueNH 04-04-2013 10:02 AM

Magnesium Oxide is what they use for food stuffs, magnesium chloride is to melt ice.

You can get a 50 lb bag of it from a feed mill for under $20. Most feed stores can also special order it for you.

deserthorsewoman 04-04-2013 10:04 AM

Exactly. Just compare how much is in it.
Magnesium for Horses | Natural Health for Equines is another good read, has a link to a very good article also.
I couldn't find any magnesium chloride, the MagRestore comes closest, tho.