The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Health certificate for shows? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/health-certificate-shows-168386/)

Kendall 04-04-2013 09:29 AM

Health certificate for shows?

The show website says: For all PSJ events at all facilities: Horses entering the facility are required to have a 30 day health certificate prior to entering until further notice.

I was just wondering about like what it is?

leapoffaithfarm 04-04-2013 09:51 AM

This is just a signed paper from your vet saying that the horse is healthy and disease free.
If you are a person (like me) that gives all your own shots you will need to make sure that you hold on to receipts, I always keep the little bag that the shot comes in that tells you what it is, and a record of the date that the shot was given

The big show barn here in our area is requiring this now to

Kendall 04-04-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leapoffaithfarm (Post 2125074)
This is just a signed paper from your vet saying that the horse is healthy and disease free.
If you are a person (like me) that gives all your own shots you will need to make sure that you hold on to receipts, I always keep the little bag that the shot comes in that tells you what it is, and a record of the date that the shot was given

The big show barn here in our area is requiring this now to

Okay okay makes sense. And I think it is because the EPSM? Break out in Florida or whatever.
The barn owner gives some of the shots to the horses but some from the vet but we have current Coggins. so how would that work?

leapoffaithfarm 04-04-2013 10:05 AM

you would just contact your vet and they would know what to do. 99% of the time as long as the vet knows you and your horses it is no biggie that you give your horses your shots.

Cat 04-04-2013 10:34 AM

Since there are no required vaccines by law - typically a vet will fill out a health certificate as long as you have a current coggins and they can see the horse is visually healthy. Never had a problem even if the vet did not give the shots.

SaddleOnline 04-04-2013 10:36 AM

A lot of show barns are requiring them this year because of the EHV-1 mutation outbreak.

More info on that here

Just call your vet and let them know you need a health certificate for a certain date. They just have to come out and take temperatures, make sure the horse isn't showing any signs of illness or recovering from an illness and sign off that they think the horse is safe to travel and not infect any other horses.

Most health certificates are for either 15 days or 30 days depending on the state, make sure you plan ahead and get one in a time frame that will cover as many shows as possible to save some money. They are generally about $30.00 + a barn call depending on your vet.

Best of luck!

Left Hand Percherons 04-04-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kendall (Post 2125138)
Okay okay makes sense. And I think it is because the EPSM? Break out in Florida or whatever.
The barn owner gives some of the shots to the horses but some from the vet but we have current Coggins. so how would that work?

EHV-1. EPSM is a genetic defect that effects glucose utilization.

I'm just going to throw this out there but why do you allow your BO give your horse shots? Is she qualified to administer emergency care if your horse had a reaction to a shot? Who's on the hook if something goes wrong? CYA and don't allow your BO to stick her neck out and jeopardize her business by doing procedures she shouldn't be doing. Teach yourself to give your own shots than it's a non issue. The next problem is you don't know what she administered. There is a vaccine (EHV) that might have been given in a combo shot that will offer some limited protection but is very short lived (about 6-8 weeks), You might be protected or you might not. It is something that your horse should be current on if you are going to travel and show this summer.

You have to get the vet out just to do the health certificate. No way around that. Do it as close to the show date as possible to maybe get 2 shows out of the same certificate.

Kendall 04-04-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Left Hand Percherons (Post 2125546)
EHV-1. EPSM is a genetic defect that effects glucose utilization.

I'm just going to throw this out there but why do you allow your BO give your horse shots? Is she qualified to administer emergency care if your horse had a reaction to a shot? Who's on the hook if something goes wrong? CYA and don't allow your BO to stick her neck out and jeopardize her business by doing procedures she shouldn't be doing. Teach yourself to give your own shots than it's a non issue. The next problem is you don't know what she administered. There is a vaccine (EHV) that might have been given in a combo shot that will offer some limited protection but is very short lived (about 6-8 weeks), You might be protected or you might not. It is something that your horse should be current on if you are going to travel and show this summer.

You have to get the vet out just to do the health certificate. No way around that. Do it as close to the show date as possible to maybe get 2 shows out of the same certificate.

Yes she is qualified she gets everything from the vet for shots and medicines for emergencies. I'm to young to be giving shots as I am only 14. I know what she is administering she ask and let's us know before she administers them and I do not own the horse I lease so I don't have the control to say weather or not she gives it to that horse. And okay so the certificate is just proof that he is healthy?

Left Hand Percherons 04-04-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kendall (Post 2125738)
Yes she is qualified she gets everything from the vet for shots and medicines for emergencies.

So you're saying she is a licensed vet? Just because her vet is selling her product and is able to do emergency procedures does not mean she should be doing it on horses she does not personally own. She is not licensed by the state nor is she covered in her Care Custody and Control policy to do any such work. If something were to happen, she's out there all on her own. This is a dangerous precedent that many BOs do without fully weighing the consequences.

Kendall 04-04-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Left Hand Percherons (Post 2127130)
So you're saying she is a licensed vet? Just because her vet is selling her product and is able to do emergency procedures does not mean she should be doing it on horses she does not personally own. She is not licensed by the state nor is she covered in her Care Custody and Control policy to do any such work. If something were to happen, she's out there all on her own. This is a dangerous precedent that many BOs do without fully weighing the consequences.

You being up a very good point.
Posted via Mobile Device