The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Strangles!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/strangles-1684/)

meggymoo 04-28-2007 01:59 PM

Strangles!!

Hi all,

I've had some disturbing news today. At the yard where I keep my two, we're kind of up in arms! :roll: One of the girls who keeps her horse at our yard, and helps out on a weekend, goes to a nearby college during the week, doing a course on equine studies.
Anyways, the college has a severe outbreak of strangles!! And as its in incubation for 3-10 days no one knew and she's been happily seeing to everyones horses/ponies for them.
The college is in isolation now, and is temporarily closed, but there has been reported outbreaks elsewhere in our region, where some of the other students have carried the virus onto their own yard.
Thankgoodness, (fingers crossed) no one at our yard has any symptoms yet, but then it could still be early days. As a result of this all our local shows are cancelled and My meggymoo, is not allowed home from stud till the all clear is given.
Does anyone know how long you have to wait etc? We keep being given seperate pieces of info, so we're all confused. Although we have spoke to the vet and he has recommended giving all horses on the yard a swab, but no time frame has been given. :( Any info about Strangles would be greatly appreciated. I'v never experienced it before, so not really sure what procedure, etc is.

Thanks in advance. :wink:

meggymoo 04-29-2007 12:26 PM

No one know anything? :cry:

tumai 04-30-2007 01:29 AM

Hey, sorry I don't know much about strangles....it's not common here in NZ but I did Google (net search) Equine Strangles and loads of sites came up. I am sure you will find everything you need to know. :cry: Hope your babies are safe! Tumai.

futolympeventer327 04-30-2007 02:34 AM

All the horses on the yard should be tested. Disenfect all shared spaces, buckets, brushes ect... and don't let the horses near each other no touching noses or anything and always wash your hands after you have touched a horse before you go touch another one. Strangles is very communicable and deadly so no measure is to great to protect your horses.[/b]

meggymoo 04-30-2007 02:45 PM

Thanks guys.

The vet has said he cant test them until they start showing symptoms. He's said if by next wednesday (9th May) we have no symptoms then we will be in the clear. :roll:
I've had to postpone my search for a new horse, just in case our yard has been infected, to make sure I dont carry it onto other yards. Its like foot and mouth disease over here all over again. Having to disinfect footwear and clothing, so not to carry it anywhere. The college has been extremely stupid and selfish, it should of shut down as soon as strangles became a possibilty, but instead it remained open for a week, sending its pupils out on work placements!! :evil:

Keep fingers and toes crossed for me please, I need my meggymoo to come home next week, its driving me crazy! :(