The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Should I change my pony's current bit? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/should-i-change-my-ponys-current-168402/)

SA Trail Rider 04-04-2013 10:04 AM

Should I change my pony's current bit?

Hello all,

My pony was known as a killer horse before we got him(having greatly injured many people). He was ridden in a jointed snaffle and then put in a mullenmouth before we got him.

We have him in a soft rubber snaffle now and I have not had major problems so far. My only problem is he doesn't respond well to this bit. I have to really pull hard(which I absolutely hate doing) to stop him and now with him getting hot with us competing him, he is getting intolerable with this bit.

I want to change it but I don't know what to but the rubber must stay there. What slightly stronger or more correct bit to him would be better?

Thank you very much. :)

~SATR

Allison Finch 04-04-2013 10:16 AM

Go back to the mullen mouth. You can find them with a rubber mouth. I, personally, don't like rubber covered bits. I find that they fit poorly in most horse's mouths, being too thick. And, they tend to get chewed through, making rough spots that irritate the mouth. Happy mouth bits are a bit better, but not much.

Endiku 04-04-2013 10:19 AM

Sounds to me like he needs some refining as well, if you're having to pull really hard. He may have just developed a hard mouth for being fidgeted with and not repriminded for evading the bit.

SA Trail Rider 04-04-2013 10:27 AM

I have done so much groundwork with him especially playing with his mouth and that area. He is old(14yrs) and was only backed last year but yeah I will work on it.

So should I go for a no rubber mullenmouth? Any other bits I could try?

Thanks again.

~SATR

PunksTank 04-04-2013 10:27 AM

Well, here are my 2 cents...
First of all, rubber sounds lovely, in concept it's the ideal thing to put on a bit - but it too has some downfalls. Rubber makes a bit much thicker, while realistically a very narrow bit is harsher, but an overly wide one can be very uncomfortable too. It also has a tendency to get chewed up, making little sharp edges that really hurt. My very small pony I just started with a bit (for driving) I started with a flexible rubber mullen mouth, but being so thick it was awfully uncomfortable for him, despite the 'tongue relief'. I switched him to a sweet iron french link and his problems were solved.
French links IMO, are the best bits to resort to when something isn't working. Medium thickness, no rubber, a sweet or warm metal (like sweet iron or copper) - all those things are ideal choices in a bit. French links, IMO, are more ideal than single jointed snaffles because you don't run the risk of the joint hitting the pallet of the horse - which often causes head tossing or leaning hard on the bit. Leaning seems to be your problem? When the single joint of the snaffle hits the horse's pallet, the horse will lean into the bit, pushing all the pressure on his bars and tongue, maybe opening his mouth if there is no noseband to prevent that, all to get the pressure off his pallet. So perhaps, when you ask him to stop or turn the bit is actually bothering him and the easiest way to avoid the discomfort is to push into the bit further.

If he's not stopping with the pull of the reins (of course backed up with seat cues) you have 2 things to look at and fix, a bit he doesn't like and more importantly his training! So first I'd switch to a milder bit then I'd go back to training.
I'd hop on and ride this horse through a million transitions and changing figures. The more you ask of your horse, the more he needs to pay attention. Always remember "Ask Tell Commad" - Ask the horse with the gentlest cue, if no response, tell slightly stronger, still nothing COMMAND it - After a few good rides where you ride through lots of gait changes and flat figures you'll notice you're needing to command or even tell much less often. This teaches the horse to focus on you and try to feel the pre-cues to avoid the stronger cues. Remember to always look where your going and use your entire body to ride the horse, not just your hands. Eventually you'll just look where you want to go and he'll be going there.
If he gets hyped up over jumps take him back to flat work and gradually reintroduce jumping in a more controlled manner - at this point if you can't stop or steer easily, he shouldn't be jumping.

ETA: Mullen Mouths are also wonderful bits and will prevent the same issues that french links do.