The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Thrush. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/thrush-168490/)

Kendall 04-04-2013 11:54 AM

Thrush.

What are your favorite things to get rid of thrush?! I can never seem to find anything..

Kendall 04-04-2013 11:56 AM

Sorry i meant to put this in the hoof care. :(

RandysWifey 04-04-2013 12:01 PM

we battled a bad case of thrush for about 8 months. Tried everything under the sun-ended up taking tomorrow dry cow mastitis and putting it in the crack in the frog and packing it with cotton balls. Changed it every day/every 2 days until it dried up. Good luck!

Baylee 04-04-2013 02:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
When my mom had her old horse he had thrush very often. Our farrier recommended a treatment called Thrush Buster. it really helped and got rid of the thrush quickly. It's a bit spendy cost-wise but it does help get the job done. We always had a bottle of it around.

Usually it's in a small bottle and is the color purple and works best if you clean the hoof ( just using a hoof pick is fine) and then apply it from the top of the hoof (part that is closest to you when holding the hoof) and letting it run down over and frog area or affected area.

Hope this helps!:wink:

SugarNSpice 04-04-2013 02:49 PM

After over a year of trying everything under the sun to battle my geldings thrush I finally won using "Pete's Goo", which is a 50/50 mix of neosporin (I actually used a generic brand) and athelete's foot cream. Three times a week I picked his foot thoroughly, sprayed his foot with hydrogen peroxcide to clean it, then used a syringe to get the medicine down into his heel crack and fill it up, and I may have gone a bit overboard but it worked best for me, but I also put some all over his frog area, central sulcus, heel, and in the back of each collateral groove (he actually had a hole that went from one of this grooves underneath into the frog, as soon as I figured that out healing sped up as well), and then I covered the whole bottom of his hoof and up onto the heel bulbs concentrating the most over the heel crack and frog with a generic A & D diaper rash ointment to create a barrier to protect from urine and wetness. Which I also kept him out of the mud as much as possible and kept his stall as clean and dry as I could with going out there 3 times a week.

I know most of the things you'll read say you only need a little bit, or like a pea sized amount and I tried that for awhile first but wasn't getting much of a result, so as a last ditch effort (was seriously losing hope of ever getting it healed up) I decided to up the amounts and cover my bases. Worked like a charm. Like I said, after over a year of having little to no results, it finally all healed up after a few months of doing this. And a few months probably sounds pretty long, but his frog was pretty deteriorated and the crack was deep, not to mention a lot of other products I tried seemed to dry his hoof and damage it which made it worse overall in my opinion. So it cost me around $10 each time I bought the neosporin, athlete's foot cream, and diaper rash ointment and each batch would last me a good few weeks. As maintence since it healed (it's only been about a month), since I'm scared to go cold turkey with the medicine, I've kept applying the diaper rash ointment to protect it, as well as spraying all of his feet with apple cider vinegar as a preventative. Hope this helps!

Kendall 04-04-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SugarNSpice (Post 2128050)
After over a year of trying everything under the sun to battle my geldings thrush I finally won using "Pete's Goo", which is a 50/50 mix of neosporin (I actually used a generic brand) and athelete's foot cream. Three times a week I picked his foot thoroughly, sprayed his foot with hydrogen peroxcide to clean it, then used a syringe to get the medicine down into his heel crack and fill it up, and I may have gone a bit overboard but it worked best for me, but I also put some all over his frog area, central sulcus, heel, and in the back of each collateral groove (he actually had a hole that went from one of this grooves underneath into the frog, as soon as I figured that out healing sped up as well), and then I covered the whole bottom of his hoof and up onto the heel bulbs concentrating the most over the heel crack and frog with a generic A & D diaper rash ointment to create a barrier to protect from urine and wetness. Which I also kept him out of the mud as much as possible and kept his stall as clean and dry as I could with going out there 3 times a week.

I know most of the things you'll read say you only need a little bit, or like a pea sized amount and I tried that for awhile first but wasn't getting much of a result, so as a last ditch effort (was seriously losing hope of ever getting it healed up) I decided to up the amounts and cover my bases. Worked like a charm. Like I said, after over a year of having little to no results, it finally all healed up after a few months of doing this. And a few months probably sounds pretty long, but his frog was pretty deteriorated and the crack was deep, not to mention a lot of other products I tried seemed to dry his hoof and damage it which made it worse overall in my opinion. So it cost me around $10 each time I bought the neosporin, athlete's foot cream, and diaper rash ointment and each batch would last me a good few weeks. As maintence since it healed (it's only been about a month), since I'm scared to go cold turkey with the medicine, I've kept applying the diaper rash ointment to protect it, as well as spraying all of his feet with apple cider vinegar as a preventative. Hope this helps!

I will try this if the thrush buster doesn't work! The thrush isn't that bad

Saengchwi 04-05-2013 02:46 AM

When we first got our little pony, she had a horrible case of thrush. We soaked her foot daily in 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar and one gallon of water. The soaking let the vinegar really get in there. After her soak, we gently scrapped the frog to remove any dead material, then we applied a commercial thrust treatment. I can't remember the brand, its green though and stains. I always keep some around in case its needed, but we live in a desert so thrush is usually easy to keep away.

For regular maintenance to keep thrush away, we use the same vinegar solution in a spray bottle. I just spray down the horses feet after their daily cleaning. Riding in sandy areas I think helps also. The hooves always look nice and clean after spending some time walking/running on clean sand.

Roadyy 04-05-2013 10:16 AM

I've been battling thrush on my newest horse since we got him 2 weeks ago. I've been spraying his hooves and frog down with the amber colored Listerine twice a day and have noticed an improvement in all four frogs.

Clean the hoof with pick and brush then soak it down then keep them in a dry area to give the Listerine time to soak in and dry before turning them out.

Cruiser 04-05-2013 01:45 PM

I started using 50/50 stuff, worked wonders less than a month one of her front frogs was completely healed, we're still working on the other front it had lost most of the frog due to an absess than thrush took over. I filled the holes and gaps with it and now they not any where as deep. It's not messy, easy to use (I put it into a 10 cc syringe) and works. Plus I don't live in a horsey community so homemade fixes are a great thing.

AnitaAnne 04-05-2013 03:37 PM

Absorbine thrush remedy. The only thing I will use! Works great. Use daily if active thrush until gone.

Use proactive after every rain & hoof trim. Works even if you can't get the hoof all the way clean and doesn't trap in bacteria like the ones you paint on.

I even used it on goats and it cleared it up!!