The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Question about property.. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/question-about-property-16869/)

Gingerrrrr 11-01-2008 05:36 PM

Question about property..

okay so my gramma has lived where she does for over 15 years atleast. its way longer then 15 years but i dont know how long exactly. over the last few years her town has made a new law that you now have to have 3 acres for 1 horse and if you want another one you have to have another acre. so for the first horse you have to have a minimum of 3 acres and 1 additional one for every other horse besides that. well the rule use to be that you only had to have 2 acres of land for 1 horse then every additional horse it was 1 acre. well someone told me that if theyeve lived there longer then that rule was made that they can still have a horse on 2 acres since there property is land locked. just wondering if anyone has ever heard this?

NorthernMama 11-01-2008 05:58 PM

That's a local by-law so only someone else in your municipality/county/whatever will know the specifics there. Go to the town hall and ask for the by-law that pertains... This is called "grandfathering" and is used a lot when new laws are introduced or old ones changed.

Vidaloco 11-01-2008 05:58 PM

Sometimes a law can have a "granddfather clause" meaning if you were going against the law before the law was inacted you don't have to comply with the new law.
Many citys have animal or livestock laws. Our little town just passed one banning chickens from the city limits :shock:

Vidaloco 11-01-2008 05:59 PM

Got a double on that one we posted at the same time :lol:

NorthernMama 11-01-2008 06:20 PM

V -- you know, we really need to meet. This has happened before. We must be soul-mates!