The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Black tack in the hunter ring? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/black-tack-hunter-ring-16872/)

mojo7777 11-01-2008 07:38 PM

Black tack in the hunter ring?

Is this considered OK, or is brown really the only way to go. I haven't shown since I was a teen...don't know how things are done these days!

blossom856 11-01-2008 07:49 PM

Technically there's no rule against it, it's just one of those things that's frowned upon. Unless you plan on competing in the A's don't let that stop you. I showed all this season in black tack and I did very well.

luvs2ride1979 11-02-2008 10:30 PM

If you're showing locally, you should be fine. But, if you're showing breed shows (other than Arabians or gaited horses) or in more formal rated shows, I'd stay away from black.

Also, black hunt saddles have a LOW resale value, so don't buy a new one, lol.

blossom856 11-02-2008 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvs2ride1979 (Post 179608)
Also, black hunt saddles have a LOW resale value, so don't buy a new one, lol.

I agree. I bought my black saddle used. It was only used twice and was in perfect condition. I paid only $200 for it. That included fittings, a bridle and a bit. A great saddle that could've gone for much higher had it been a more popular color.

kitten_Val 11-03-2008 08:06 AM

Why black is so unpopular? Is there any particular reason?

upnover 11-03-2008 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val (Post 179748)
Why black is so unpopular? Is there any particular reason?

it's just not traditional. unfortunately the hunters are allll about tradition. i very rarely ever see black tack, even at the schooling shows. but if it's a little less formal in your area i say go for it, but invest in some brown if you're interested in showing more in the future.

mojo7777 11-03-2008 10:21 PM

Thanks for the responses. My Prix des nations does NOT fit my wonderful new horse. His former owner will probably sell me the black Stubben Seigfried she used on him. I like the way it feels, and if I'm positive it fits him well I'll most likely buy it. No plans for showing, but hunters have been my thing ever since I first learned to ride (a long time ago lol) and I'm just used to it. And then, who here would be able to use a brown bridle with a black saddle...need to buy a black bridle too!!

.A.j. 11-04-2008 07:30 AM

I LOVE my stubben. It's also black, I have a dappled grey and he looks horrendous in brown. I probably won't do much showing anyway so I guess it doesn't matter much to me but the salesperson I bought the saddle from said a few years ago a black close-contact saddle was as uncommon as a brown dressage saddle but she is seeing more and more people buying black these days, personally I think it looks great on a horse that doesn't have any sort of brown in them.

Stubbens are wonderful!! They'll last you forever!

brittx6x6 11-04-2008 04:50 PM

I showed all summer in A rated hunters in black tack and I was not once placed low for having it. The horse's owner wanted him in black so I rode him in black and we never had a problem.

PG'sGal4ever 11-04-2008 10:10 PM

I showed in Black tack on my black/white & Bay horse in the last few years and I really loved the color on them, I think it all depends on the color of the horse and what level of showing you are going to be doing.