The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Does my colt like me? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/does-my-colt-like-me-16874/)

Ruby Tuesday 11-01-2008 07:40 PM

Does my colt like me?

OK, as you may or may not know, I have recently taken in 3 horses. A mare, a yearling, and a foal.

The mare I have been working with everyday, even saddled and ridden her. No problem.

The yearling I will work with when I'm done. Walk her, work with verbal, ect. No problem.

The foal is 3 months. When I am done with the other two, I will "work" with him - I'll catch him, pet him, lift his feet, brush, ect ect. Most of the time I will work on walking up to him and catch him. He will normally run/walk away. Every time. OK, no problem. Until today....

Today I did my routine. When it came to Jake (foal) it went as follows....
Attempt 1 - ran away breifly. After some coaxing, Jake was caught and rewarded.
Attempt 2 - ran away breifly. After some coaxing, Jake was caught and rewarded.
Attempt 3 - ran away breifly. After some coaxing, Jake was caught and rewarded.
Attempt 4 - Stood and watched me approach, allowed me to catch him.
Attempt 5 - Stood and watched me approach, allowed me to catch him.
Attempt 6 - Came up to me as I was approaching him. Wanted to be petted and rewarded. As I backed away to begin attempt 7....he followed and "asked" to have his head and neck rubbed. Wouldn't leave me alone. He wasn't pushy, but just seemed to want attention. So far, I was OK with this... he's warming up to me. And then I noticed....

It seems Jake was "suffering" from a "condition". The only symptom besides wanting attention was a drooping, 5th appendature beneith him.

I walked away from him, and his "condition" improved. The barn owner and his son were observing this take place and found great humor in my new "friend", and were laughing it up at the sake of my embarrasment. Both of them went in by Jake later, and no "condition" was present. So...

Is this natural?
Isn't he a bit young for that "condition"?
Am I sending the wrong signals?
Do I need to be alarmed?
Or is this just something that happens to a male horse time to time?
Is he confused?

NorthernMama 11-01-2008 08:25 PM

That's normal. Many mammals, including human babies have this happen. It doesn't mean anything at this stage of the game.

Solo 11-01-2008 11:07 PM

My five year old gelding does this when I use the curry comb.
Would that be considered normal?

That's really funny that your little guy does that. He sure must like you :)

LadyDreamer 11-02-2008 12:13 AM

You must make him very relaxed. My youngster does that. He is such a laid back boy. It is quite easy to put him to sleep.

Just think. It will make it easier for sheath cleaning.... lol :D

kickshaw 11-02-2008 03:47 PM

completely normal - the foal must feel very safe/comfortable around you

Ruby Tuesday 11-02-2008 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solo (Post 178958)

That's really funny that your little guy does that. He sure must like you :)

As long as we don't have to redefine like...we're cool.

Sheath cleaning?? Dare I ask?

Gingerrrrr 11-02-2008 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruby Tuesday (Post 179362)

Sheath cleaning?? Dare I ask?

mwahahahaha :twisted:

Sing it to the tune of "Hello Mother, Hello Father" from camp song.

How's it hangin'?
So much cleaner.
Aren't you glad I
washed your wiener?
I'll admit it's
kinda creepy
that I had to stick my arm up in your pee-pee.

It was sticky.
It was gunky.
It felt icky.
It smelled funky.
It was cruddy,
it was crusty--
when you stuck it out, it creaked like it was rusty.

After half an
hour of toilin'
and of squirtin'
baby oil in,
you're as fresh there
as a daisy.
Either this means I love you or else I'm crazy!!!

Ruby Tuesday 11-02-2008 04:48 PM

I just read the article found at www.equusite.com/articles/health/healthSheathCleaning.shtml

:shock::shock::shock:

Noooonononono. nu agh. No. now way. Faugetaboutit! He follows me around too much already! It has NOW become more than I had bargined for!

There has got to be a vet or ferrier or sombody that specializes in that...job.

On that thought, who would WANT that job!?!

Gingerrrrr 11-02-2008 05:04 PM

im pretty sure the vet would do it for a fee but im not too sure as i never cleaned my geldings sheath in the year i had him!

My2Geldings 11-02-2008 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruby Tuesday (Post 178833)
OK, as you may or may not know, I have recently taken in 3 horses. A mare, a yearling, and a foal.

The mare I have been working with everyday, even saddled and ridden her. No problem.

The yearling I will work with when I'm done. Walk her, work with verbal, ect. No problem.

The foal is 3 months. When I am done with the other two, I will "work" with him - I'll catch him, pet him, lift his feet, brush, ect ect. Most of the time I will work on walking up to him and catch him. He will normally run/walk away. Every time. OK, no problem. Until today....

Today I did my routine. When it came to Jake (foal) it went as follows....
Attempt 1 - ran away breifly. After some coaxing, Jake was caught and rewarded.
Attempt 2 - ran away breifly. After some coaxing, Jake was caught and rewarded.
Attempt 3 - ran away breifly. After some coaxing, Jake was caught and rewarded.
Attempt 4 - Stood and watched me approach, allowed me to catch him.
Attempt 5 - Stood and watched me approach, allowed me to catch him.
Attempt 6 - Came up to me as I was approaching him. Wanted to be petted and rewarded. As I backed away to begin attempt 7....he followed and "asked" to have his head and neck rubbed. Wouldn't leave me alone. He wasn't pushy, but just seemed to want attention. So far, I was OK with this... he's warming up to me. And then I noticed....

It seems Jake was "suffering" from a "condition". The only symptom besides wanting attention was a drooping, 5th appendature beneith him.

I walked away from him, and his "condition" improved. The barn owner and his son were observing this take place and found great humor in my new "friend", and were laughing it up at the sake of my embarrasment. Both of them went in by Jake later, and no "condition" was present. So...

Is this natural?
Isn't he a bit young for that "condition"?
Am I sending the wrong signals?
Do I need to be alarmed?
Or is this just something that happens to a male horse time to time?
Is he confused?

LOL don't worry about it. Foals and foals and they have temper tantrums just like kids. They never like you. My blob, bah he probably doesn't like me. It's a phase. He probably won't start to like me well into his riding career anyways :lol: