The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   People who just like/hate one breed... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/people-who-just-like-hate-one-168970/)

horselover01 04-05-2013 10:13 AM

People who just like/hate one breed...

I run into too many people who just like one or two certain breeds and it irritates me. Like when people say,"Oh I love paints they are all wonderful" Yes I have heard someone say that all paints were good horses..... I love all kinds of breeds my favorites being appaloosa, quarter horses, thoroughbreds, and haflingers.

On the other hand I also hate it when people hate a certain breed. A lot of people hate arabians because they think that they are all crazy, yes they have a tendency to be more highstrung but that doesn't mean they are all crazy. I haven't had the best experience with arabians because most of them that I have been around were actually crazy or they were mean, which was kinda the owners fault because they didn't handle them very well.

My point is that there are no perfect breeds and no breeds were they are all bad horses. Different breeds have a tendency to be better at different diciplines. But that doesn't mean all of them are good at it, there are quarter horses that love to jump and thoroughbreds who love western pleasure and trail riding.

What are any exeriences that you have had with breed racism and how do you feel about it?

texasgal 04-05-2013 10:14 AM

People who just like/hate one breed...

... are closed minded.... imo

Joe4d 04-05-2013 10:54 AM

why do you feel it is any of your concern what type of horses I like or hate ? Just dont see how it really matters. Thats the basic reason wed have so many breeds to choose from. Somewhere along the line somebody liked something and disliked something else and bred to create what they wanted.

Muppetgirl 04-05-2013 11:10 AM

Hmmmm ok, I will openly admit I like quarter horses the best.....there are no other breeds that I HATE, but there certainly are breeds I dislike. Same goes with dogs.....love Aussie Shepherds and old style Labradors.....really dislike German Shepherds......does this make mean I have a closed mind? No. I was attacked by a German Shepherd as a child.......what I like and don't like is my prerogative......

Also, I don't think 'breed racism' is the term your looking for......

BlueSpark 04-05-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

That's the basic reason wed have so many breeds to choose from. Somewhere along the line somebody liked something and disliked something else and bred to create what they wanted.
I both agree and disagree with this statement. I think most breeds came about for a purpose, and only now are people really getting into creating "fad" breeds, just for characteristics they decide they like. Orginally the thoroughbred was bred specifically for speed, the qh for ranch work, the percheron for pulling, etc. the friesian was bred as a flashy carraige horse, and is well suited to that. they needed a horse that could pull, and look great doing it. Only now have people said "friesians are purdy, lets turn them into saddle horses!"

I dont like people who are close minded about things, but we are all alowed our preferences. For example, I dont like Quarter horses. shocking, I know. I have been bitten, run over, and bucked off more qh's than any other breed, hands down. I have seen many halter bred horses with no mind, and several that were bred to work but excelled as broncs. the craziest horse I've ever had the misfortune of working with was a qh. That said, I know there are good ones, and I ended up, against my better judgment, with a filly thats appy on the top and aqha on the bottom. she has the best mind I've ever seen on a two year old. I love arabs, and have no issues(minus the dislike of their suicidal tendencies) with thoroughbreds.

I have no problems with having opinions, as long as people arn't purposefully ignorant about reality (example "Every paint is a wonderful saddle horse!").

texasgal 04-05-2013 11:36 AM

I don't think preferences is what the OP is talking about. I understand what she is saying... and most of you do too.

As past owner of Appaloosas and a current owner of an Arabian, I know EXACTLY what she's talking about. I live in "if it ain't a QH or a Paint .. it ain't sh!t" country! lol.

Even my farrier told me that my Arabian was "pretty nice ... for an Arab" ..

My mare is PRETTY NICE... period!

horselover01 04-05-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Why do you feel it is any of your concern what type of horses I like or hate ?
I don't care what breed you dislike or like its none of my business. You don't understand what I am getting. I'm trying to say that I don't like it when people think that one certain breed are all wonderful horses and that is the only kind of horse they want. Or that one certain breed are all terrible horses.

Quote:

I don't think 'breed racism' is the term your looking for......
Yes I couldn't think of another word to use. :)

I'm not saying that I don't want people to have opinions. Everybody has opinions and everybody opinion is different.

xxdanioo 04-05-2013 11:46 AM

I love apps. I'm not a fan of certain breeds. I love cheese, I'm not a fan of certain foods. What does it matter what I like/dont like? I'm me, I have the option to like/dislike whatever I want, based on my own experiences.

horselover01 04-05-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

I love apps. I'm not a fan of certain breeds. I love cheese, I'm not a fan of certain foods. What does it matter what I like/dont like? I'm me, I have the option to like/dislike whatever I want, based on my own experiences.
Once again I don't care what you like or dislike. I love appys too. What I was was basically don't judge a book by its cover. Don't say that you don't like a horse just because the breed.

Dustbunny 04-05-2013 11:59 AM

Perhaps people who make the "I hate" statements simply haven't spent enough time learning about breeds and the purposes for which they were bred. I'd call it ignorance...and probably narrow-mindedness.