The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Color Coded Reins for Left and Right (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/color-coded-reins-left-right-169010/)

Tessa7707 04-05-2013 11:03 AM

Color Coded Reins for Left and Right

I have some students that have some issues with right and left. I have put a red rubber band on the right thumb, a yellow one on the left, tape, I have thought about doing something to the gloves like an 'r' and an 'l'.
I had the idea to have reins that are half yellow and half red, that way the visual is always there. Anyone know where I can find that? I have seen rainbow reins but that's not quite what I'm looking for. I suppose I could put tape on the reins but I'd rather have something more permanent. Thanks!

NBEventer 04-05-2013 11:17 AM

What about getting a few sets of reins like this Kincade Pastel Rubber Reins and Rubber Reins | EQUESTRIAN COLLECTIONS.COM

Then you can just pair the different colours so you have one blue and one pink or something like that.

Also try telling the kid to hold up their left hand with their thumb out and their index finger up so they form an L. Doing that a couple times should help click their left hand. Or put a crop in their right or left hand and they keep the crop in the same hand until they know their left from right.

Tack Collector 04-05-2013 11:35 AM

If they are just schooling tack and not oily and you don't care if they look glam, paint them with a leather dye. Or acrylic "dye" (paint) like Tandy Cova dye. Tarrago and some other companies make paint-on shoe dyes in all kinds of colors. I have used the Equire Instant Coloring in white on my white leather show girths and it adheres well and doesn't peel off like plastic or anything bad like that. That would be far less expensive than buying new reins.

jaydee 04-05-2013 11:35 AM

Sorry I cant help but your post really made me smile and took me right back to when my mum bought me different coloured gloves for left and right and even stitched a L & R on to the backs of them!!!
When I was teaching young children I asked their parents to do the same thing because it was really common for instructors to ask kids to ride to the left (for eg) and have them all going in different directions, I've even seen it happen in First Ridden show classes in the UK!!!

PunksTank 04-05-2013 11:38 AM

Why not get two sets of rainbow reins, one pastel one regular and swap the sides so one side is regular and one side is pastel? Then they have rainbows too to help keep their reins at the right length visually.

maura 04-05-2013 12:09 PM

Buy a bunch of cheap cotton gloves at a dollar store or Wally World in the two colors of your choice - red and white or red and green - and keep them in your tack room. Put a different colored glove on each hand, red on the right, white or green on the left.

Teach them "red on the right" - works for boating, eventing and show jumping.

If you're teaching English, this gives you a head start on diagnols and also leads; you can put different colored polos on the horse's front legs, and when kids really had trouble seeing diagnols, I would put a line of colored tape right along the horse's shoulder to help them see the shoulder move.

maura 04-05-2013 12:27 PM

I think this is easier and cheaper than using the reins, and you don't end up with a lot of tack you can only use for lessons.

I did love the rainbow reins fore teaching though, instead of constantly telling kids to shorten their reins, I would say "Remember to keep your hands in the blue!" - much easier. I also liked them for very crooked or side dominant adults - they made it very clear when the rider consistently rode with one reins shorter.

MHFoundation Quarters 04-05-2013 12:30 PM

On english reins I use yarn and tie a little bow on them. Left is yellow (lemon) and red for right. Western I use split reins and put a light oil on the left and a dark oil on the right.
Posted via Mobile Device

verona1016 04-05-2013 01:39 PM

Biothane tack comes in all kinds of colors. You could get a set of red and a set of yellow and turn them into two sets of red/yellow :-)

Endurance Reins

Back2Horseback 04-06-2013 01:45 PM

As a nearly 40 year old adult, I clearly well know my left from my right (MOST days, anyway!) :0)

However, when in a lesson and worrying about what FEELS like 9,000 things, I've been asked to, "now circle left" & been sitting there panicking..."LEFT? Who the heck knows which way THAT IS? C'Mon, can't we do something EASIER!" Hehe!! I'm such a DORK! ;0)