The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   what are these? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/what-these-169042/)

Keeley57 04-05-2013 11:45 AM

what are these?

2 Attachment(s)
what are these lumps/bumps on my pony he was clipped a month or so ago due to him having lice which were treated and were gone a few days after then he was retreated 2 weeks later to ensure they were all dead and gone.. whilst clipping him i noticed 1 lump thing which had a head on it like you should be able to see on some off the others.. it had like a indent in it like something had been in it.. couple weeks later he had a few more none of which bother him at all you can pick pull prod and poke them the do not hurt him.. and took his rug off today and hes got them on his bum also.. could he be to hot in his rug? blocked sweat glands sort of thing? fly bites? ingrowing hairs? ive never seen these before at all so not a clue.. hes still fine being ridden and they arent bothering him but would like to know what they are have vet next week for his booster so will ask what they are but any ideas welcome

MissingStar 04-05-2013 03:27 PM

At first, I thought it might be a skin reaction to the clipper blades (my legs looked like that after I tried an epilator - ouch!). However, this theory doesn't really fit with your description of when these lumps appeared.

It could be a bacterial infection in the hair follicles. Maybe a mild allergic reaction to the lice treatment?

As for overheating, the weather is pretty confusing right now. Hard morning frosts, biting wind chill factor one minute then the wind drops and suddenly we have blazing sun! Even I was, er, "glowing" under my padded jacket this morning (naturally, ladies don't sweat . . ). Then back comes the wind. The temperature extremes from hour to hour must be a nightmare to rug for.

Sorry, I was no help at all Keeley. Looking forward to hearing what your vet makes of it next week.

Ray MacDonald 04-05-2013 03:31 PM

"Because women don't sweat" LOLOL!!

Keeley57 04-05-2013 05:21 PM

I know I've had all those sorts of ideas Aswell! He's also got some bigger ones which you can't see on the pic think there abit further up his shoulder but there about he size of a ten pence piece and feel like really hard skin! Really strange can go to see him tomorrow and he will have hardly any next day all over him again.. But think they are gradually spreading so will definitely get the vet to have a look! :) x
Posted via Mobile Device

SullysRider 04-05-2013 10:25 PM

A horse at my barn had something similar, it was from allergies then he would scratch them which made them worse. Some days they were better, and some of them got hard or scabbed over. Some would lose the hair from him scratching some wouldn't. Now he gets shots that prevent them