The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Your opinion on Gabapentin (for horses) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/your-opinion-gabapentin-horses-169082/)

IceDancer94 04-05-2013 01:54 PM

Your opinion on Gabapentin (for horses)

I have a headshaker, and I am working hard to try to try and help her as much as I can. I take her out daily and examine her symptoms during grooming and lunging and record what happens each day. So far we have tried a UV mask (which hasn't done much) and I have ordered a nose net for her to see if that will help.

I was convinced it was most likely allergies, but when I took her out yesterday, my opinion has completely changed. Yesterday it was raining, and the rain was triggering the head shaking. I found that if I cupped my hands over her muzzle, it seemed to help some. I am not leaning towards the possibility of it being neurological, possibly combined with stress and nervousness??

I am thinking of trying gabapentin with her. Has anyone tried this and/or has any opinion on it?

Thank you!

walkinthewalk 04-05-2013 07:19 PM

I had never heard of it so I looked it up.

Gabapentin for Veterinary Use

Can this be bought OTC? without a vet giving the ok? I read some 2011 comments on another forum.

Between those comments and this link, I wouldn't go near this stuff without the vet saying it was ok. JMO:-)

LTsem 07-06-2013 01:17 PM

gabapentin for horses

I have a thoroughbred who was diagnosed with headshaking syndrome three years ago. He was unrideable while affected by the syndrome. I start him on gabapentin in the spring when he begins showing signs of irritation. I increase his dosage until he reaches 1500 mg twice a day, which seems to ease the headshaking and makes him rideable and comfortable. I get the gabapentin from HealthWarehouse.com with a prescription from my vet.

QtrBel 07-07-2013 12:42 PM

No not OTC. RX only It is used for many things in humans as well. Helps control seizures for epileptics among other things.

Oxer 07-07-2013 11:48 PM

Gabapentin is widely used for neuropathic pain. However; in my opinion, there are much better drugs on the market now to treat such types of neuropathy. Although, Gaba does tend to be a lot less expensive. I'd be interested to know what your vet RX's for you.