The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   I Can't Believe it's Come to This (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/i-cant-believe-its-come-16923/)

.A.j. 11-02-2008 06:02 PM

I Can't Believe it's Come to This

I've had my new horse Flynn for a year now, and he is an amazing guy aside from his frequent episodes of tying up. :cry: I'm so upset that it has come to the point where I must sell him.
It started a month after I got him, he had been ridden regularly and was on minimal grain and 24/7 turnout. He had one major episode where he ended up covered in sweat, in lots of pain and his entire back end was trembling relentlessly. We had the vet out for banamine and selenium. All went well for about 4 months and then he had a minor episode, a bit shaky and sweaty but not too major, we skipped the selenium this time.
Then came the second major attack 2 weeks later. We had the vet out and he suggested not giving him his selenium mineral for 4 weeks and giving him 4 weeks off so we could get an accurate blood test.
A blood test showed high levels of muscle damage and slightly low levels of selenium, as expected. So we gave him some selenium and slowly started working him again.
In the last 5 months he hasn't been ridden too much and has still had 3 minor episodes, I think they would have escalated into major attacks if I hadn't jumped off immediately.

So, I'm going to contact his previous owner, who wanted to buy him back if we ever wanted to sell. I'm not sure what she will say since she didn't know of the tying up until it happen to me. She would only use him for the occasional trail ride, which he should be able to handle. Thats probably my only option for selling since no one would buy a horse with azoturia. :cry:

Tonight I'm going to visit my riding coach for advice, we'll see what she thinks I should do.
I'm devastated, I really really love this horse, he is a great boy. I just don't see any other options, I can't keep a horse that I can't ride.

If you made it through that huge story thanks so much, just need some support right now...

travlingypsy 11-02-2008 07:58 PM

Im so sorry, I wish there is something that could help him. Hopefully your coach can give good advice.
I understand about not being able to keep a horse you cant ride :(

missy06 11-03-2008 10:37 AM

I'm so sorry you're going through this; it must be incredibly difficult :-(

*hug*

kickshaw 11-03-2008 04:05 PM

was he on selenium regularly?

i know we had one that required a daily supplementation of it -- helped him out immensely!

.A.j. 11-03-2008 07:11 PM

Thanks everyone,

Thanks Kickshaw, yes we had him on a ton of selenium at one point, it helped but not enough to keep him going steadily; we're looking into a mineral combination design for horses that tie up.

As expected the previous owner doesn't want him, so I guess we are keeping him, I just would hate to see him turn in to a lawn ornament.

I'm doing as much research as I can about tying up and hypp, although its not in his pedigree my vet brought it up as a possibility.

If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated,

appylover31803 11-03-2008 07:39 PM

http://www.bringinglighttohypp.org

This is a great site and has TONS of information about the disease (hypp) It helped me out a lot when I found out Vega had it.

kickshaw 11-03-2008 07:56 PM

aj, i hate that for you!

I hope you are able to find something; I'll keep my ears open :-)

.A.j. 11-04-2008 07:43 AM

Thanks appylover, that website is great!
Thanks kickshaw, I'll keep you updated.

Once we get him on the mineral we're thinking about getting accupuncture done to see if we can get him feeling better, he's quite stiff from the damage.

Deb 11-04-2008 09:41 AM

You could also try deep tissue massage therapy for the stiffness and if it seems to be beneficial, learn to do it yourself. It is amazingly easy and can work wonders for some horses, improving circulation and promoting healing. Good luck.

PoptartShop 11-04-2008 03:16 PM

Aww, I'm very sorry you had to go through this, it's something a lot of us horse owners don't want to do. :( But if it's for the best, then it must be done. I wish you luck with everything. :D