The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (
-   Horse Talk (/horse-talk/)
-   -   Where do I get fencing supplies??? (

travlingypsy 11-02-2008 07:12 PM

Where do I get fencing supplies???
Oh man I need a fence! Our local feed store sells fence post and hot wire tape. But they are SO SUPER EXPENSIVE! :shock: Where did you get your supplies at? Do you use hotwire, barbwire, just wire?

Im going towards hot wire but im a little uneasy about a new horse running through it...But anyway my barn owner uses rebarb post and she also uses the fiber glass posts but I dont know where to get any of it.
Is there any places online thats sells posts in bulk? So it may be cheaper then $20 bucks a pop!

Do you think something like this will also hold in a pig?? Odd question I know...


kim_angel 11-02-2008 07:26 PM

I bought most of my fencing supplies from
As for posts, we went to home depot and got landscape wood.

travlingypsy 11-02-2008 08:17 PM

Landscapre wood?... I do have to be able to remove the post. But I didnt even think about going to home depot! Thanks :D

Appyt 11-03-2008 04:21 PM

AHAHAHAHA No, that won't hold a pig. You need galvanized wire hog or cattle panels OR field fencing to hold hogs..

travlingypsy 11-03-2008 06:21 PM

Oh hes not a hog just a pot belly. No I would not put a hog in a fence like that...

He has a chain link fence right now so he is sorta free range but if I was to get panels or other type of fencing he would have to be in a smaller area and I dont want that...

Appyt 11-03-2008 07:08 PM

A potbellied would get out of that in a flash. Under the fence he'd go. LOL You would need some kind of fencing with small holes, not bars that hold large animals. Make sense?

chasin the dream 11-03-2008 07:38 PM

you can probably get maybe something cheap..maybe chickenwire or something..idk.but if u get it in the big rolls you can cut it down the middle and run it along the outside of your fence.because they aren't tall animals.haha.and probably need like 2-2 1/2 ft to keep them in i would imagine? oh and i STRONGLY suggest NOT using barbed wire for your horses. :)

Vidaloco 11-03-2008 08:21 PM

You should probably go the hardware store route. Chain link will probably be your best bet.
If it needs to be temporary you might look into some of the smaller dog run type pens. I think they make them that are only about 3-4' high.

travlingypsy 11-03-2008 09:18 PM

yah its just such a large area and it would be temporary that we dont want to put a whole lot of many in a really nice fence...if that makes sence.

kickshaw 11-05-2008 11:50 AM

just a note - i wouldn't use "hog wire" or "page wire" to keep in your pig if it will also be used to keep in horses :-)

chain link or chicken wire is probably your best bet

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome