The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Opinions on trailer (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/opinions-trailer-169585/)

Rachel1786 04-06-2013 02:46 PM

Opinions on trailer

5 Attachment(s)
So I've been wanting to buy a horse trailer for a while now. I came across one about an hour and a half from me, for $1000. "1988 2-h trailer, recently put in new floor, and rewired. Everything works"
It's 7'2 tall and 5' wide and she is going to measure the length for me. My horse is a 16hh TB, my mom has a 15hh Appy that she may want to trailer for trail rides with me, but that would be rare so it's not a necessity that they both fit. I have pics, and she said she does have the divider and will sell it with the trailer. My boyfriend is a welder so it can reinforce anything metal if it needs it, but it looks to be pretty solid.
What do you guys think? Good deal?

SnowCowgirl 04-06-2013 02:54 PM

geez, for $1000 I think so! if possible, bring someone with you who knows what to look for and make sure the floor is good (though I think it looks pretty good in the pics). Wiring is fairly easy/cheap to re-do if it needs done anyway. You'll NEED to pull the wheels off and check/re-pack all the bearings.

I'd pick it up for $1000. A new coat of paint (could do it yourself) would make a HUGE difference in how it looks.

Rachel1786 04-06-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnowCowgirl (Post 2145409)
geez, for $1000 I think so! if possible, bring someone with you who knows what to look for and make sure the floor is good (though I think it looks pretty good in the pics). Wiring is fairly easy/cheap to re-do if it needs done anyway. You'll NEED to pull the wheels off and check/re-pack all the bearings.

I'd pick it up for $1000. A new coat of paint (could do it yourself) would make a HUGE difference in how it looks.

I plan on bring my boyfriend who is a welder(he actually agreed to buy it for me!) And my moms friend who knows all about wood and wiring and such. My moms friend should know how to check the wheel bearings and such, biggest problem will be getting a time when they can both come lol

Casey02 04-06-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

My horse is a 16hh TB, my mom has a 15hh Appy that she may want to trailer for trail rides with me, but that would be rare so it's not a necessity that they both fit
This im a little confused about.. because if your mom ever wants to go and her horse cant fit.. there would be no point in getting it lol

Palomine 04-06-2013 03:09 PM

Nice. Check it out good.

And I'm confused about mom's horse but thinking you were saying that, because it is shown without divider?

I love the ramp.

Rachel1786 04-06-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey02 (Post 2145537)
This im a little confused about.. because if your mom ever wants to go and her horse cant fit.. there would be no point in getting it lol

because I want to trailer my horse to lessons and maybe shows, so if I get the horse trailer and it won't fit both horses then we just can't take both out, or since the good trails are only a few minutes away(but curvy road with no shoulder so not safe to ride to) we could take 2 trips lol. having a trailer to fit my horse is my only priority, it would just be a plus if we could load my moms horse on occasion. My mom hardly rides anyway, in the 2.5 years she has owned her horse, she has been on him twice and only at a walk.

Rachel1786 04-06-2013 03:16 PM

Do you think 5' is wide enough to fit both horses? My moms horse is a bit of a wide load lol

Casey02 04-06-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

because I want to trailer my horse to lessons and maybe shows, so if I get the horse trailer and it won't fit both horses then we just can't take both out, or since the good trails are only a few minutes away(but curvy road with no shoulder so not safe to ride to) we could take 2 trips lol. Having a trailer to fit my horse is my only priority, it would just be a plus if we could load my moms horse on occasion. My mom hardly rides anyway, in the 2.5 years she has owned her horse, she has been on him twice and only at a walk.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up, then I would most defiantly take a look at it. I would be a nice grab if nothing is wrong with it!

Rachel1786 04-06-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey02 (Post 2145657)
Ok, thanks for clearing that up, then I would most defiantly take a look at it. I would be a nice grab if nothing is wrong with it!

I realized afterwards that it was a bit confusing lol.

Anyone else have any opinions? Questions to ask before I see it? Things to look at when I see it?
I've never owned a horse trailer before, so I'm pretty clueless

Muppetgirl 04-06-2013 08:29 PM

It's definitely a better deal than what you'd get here in AB for $1000......a bucket full of rust, rotting tires and some resident skunks! :lol: