The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Jumping Training! (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/jumping-training-16963/)

HorsesAreForever 11-03-2008 04:40 PM

Jumping Training!

Hey everyone I hope you can help me with this!!

Now that im getting back on chance after two months I want to re start our jumping training. We were jump 2'7-3ft. Since its been two months since we've really jumping im keeping it at 18in [1'6"ft] For some reason shes starting to run out on the jumps and now trying to canter them aka RUSHING the jumps lol

I need some serious tips. Should we just start over with ground poles ... or putting a few trot poles in front of the jump??? I half hault her over and over before the jump to get her to slow down it keeps her at a trot but shes very high headed.

Maybe its excitment with finally jumping again cause she never use to do this.

NEED TIPS! Im hopeing to get out there tomorrow!

steph 11-03-2008 10:09 PM

I think trot poles in front is a great idea! After she lands, I would also pull her straight up. Make her stop in a straight line right after the fence. Another thing I would try is lowering it about 6in or more (like a tiny crossrail - whatever you're comfortable jumping from a potential standstill). Trot towards it, and if she starts rushing, pull her up a few feet before the jump until she stands still, and then proceed over the jump, stopping on the other side. That's what I had to do with a 17 y/o TB who gallop over little jumps, but was calm over anything above 2' lol

BeauReba 11-04-2008 01:18 AM

Use trot poles leading up to a gymnastic. If she rushes through the gymnastic she won't make her distances and it will be more difficult for her.

limmel 11-04-2008 01:30 AM

Firstly I would put her in a running martingale so that she'll be more responsive to your half halts. I would also use lots and lots of poles with your jumping. Also, an excercise you may find helpful is trotting a small X, halting in a straight line right after, doing a turn on the haunches or on the forehand, then trotting back on it, halting in a straight line and so on. This excercise also helps tremendously with straightness. :)

PoptartShop 11-04-2008 02:14 PM

Yeah, I think starting out with trot poles will help, do a lot of half-halts coming to your jumps, so she doesn't speed up to them. ;) It will also help with her timing.

HorsesAreForever 11-07-2008 08:17 AM

thanks everyone!! I just need some clearifying thought when you say: halting in a straight line right after

What do you mean like right after she goes over stop her.... then go in a straight line forward??

BeauReba 11-09-2008 06:09 PM

Usually you let your horse go a few strides and try to stop in a straight line off the last fence (don't turn or drift away). Sometimes you have to wait until you run into the fence at the other end of the riding ring. Slowly, one step at a time, you'll halt your horse a stride sooner than the previous time. Eventually you might be able to halt your horse within a stride or two of landing.

TwendeHaraka 11-09-2008 10:07 PM

I agree with stopping after the jumps. My horse used to rush around the next corner... I stopped him at the wall after the jump every time until he stopped rushign it. If they know they aren't going to run far after it, they usually will slow down after a while.

HorsesAreForever 11-10-2008 03:56 PM

okay thanks so much!! Right now im keeping it to ground poles for a while and go up from there! thanks for the quick replies!

Patagonia 11-14-2008 09:13 AM

I was reading through the responses that you recieved and I think many of the suggestions are good for a horse that likes to get quick to the jumps. Adding ground poles, aka trot poles, in front of the jump is great for getting your horse to stop getting quick and focus on what is going on.

While watching a George Morris clinic online something he said really stuck with me about jumping. If you're pulling on your reins enough to make your horse smile, you are pulling too much...he was referring to the couple of strides infront of a jump. I understand that half halts are necessary but remember to give your horse her head. Even though she is getting quick she needs to 're-learn' where her feet go herself. (You mentioned that she didn't jump for 2 months) The more you pull, the quicker she will get.

Sometimes when I ride a horse that likes to get quick, during trotting or cantering, I may just add a little jump in the flat work. This kind of catches them off guard. I don't do long runs to a jump and never a short short one either.

I also agree that if a horse is rushing to the jump I pull up and halt. I would then walk over the jump, obviously if it's small enough. Then halt on a straight line. I don't pull up right after the jump. I would do it about four strides away.

Remember that you have to be quick with your responses. If the quickness happens to the first jump, then thats when you need to change it up.