The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Horse only poops in the inside of in-and-out (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/horse-only-poops-inside-out-169689/)

Sunnylucy 04-06-2013 05:35 PM

Horse only poops in the inside of in-and-out

I had no idea what category this would go in so I hope its okay here.

Anyway, I moved my gelding from a barn about a month ago where he was turned out during the day and stalled at night. He kept his stall neat, had a poop corner established and everything, he liked to lay down on the shavings in the middle.

He is now in an in-and-out, his hay and feed are fed inside and he can come and go as he pleases. There are no shavings down during the day and just a dusting at night.

He makes a real mess of his stall now. He only pees and poops inside even though he can go outside if he wants. The outside he keeps neat and poop-free!

So my questions are 1)is there anyway to train him to go outside? 2) Is it because there are no shavings? 3) Do some horses just want a stall at night (he's a TB)? Thank you for any help, everytime I get a handle on one thing he pops up with another! He went from a neat horse to a real little piggie!

deserthorsewoman 04-06-2013 05:48 PM

For the poop you could deposit another horse 's fresh poop outside on a spot you prefer for a few times, hoping he wants to mark his territory.
For pee..normally geldings and stallions prefer to pee on a spot where the pee doesn't splatter on the legs. So, again, you can create a toilet outside by putting some shavings down.
It doesn't always work, but it's worth a try

Sunnylucy 04-06-2013 05:55 PM

deserthorsewoman,

Those are suggestions definitely worth trying, I've gotta try everything to retrain him. He's not seeming to get it on his own. Thank you.

Vidaloco 04-06-2013 06:03 PM

Has his water always been inside too? Our girls are always out and never pee or poop around the water tank... Just a thought. Maybe move his poo to a corner of his outside area and leave it for a week or so. He may get in a new habit of using a certain area if his "markings" are already there.

Sunnylucy 04-06-2013 06:09 PM

Vidaloco,

Good one! His water is outside now, it had been inside his stall at old barn. I never even thought of that. We could move water in to see if it makes it more stall like for him and not just a poop palace. And leaving some poop outside might be worth a try to before fly season starts. Thank you.

Vidaloco 04-06-2013 06:36 PM

Here's hoping it's that simple. :D Ours poop EVERYWHERE except within 30' or so of their water supply. If we could only train them to use a bucket...

Sunnylucy 04-06-2013 07:37 PM

Oh if only we could get them to go in a bucket! LOL, mine seems to think his in and out is a private bathroom for him!

deserthorsewoman 04-06-2013 10:13 PM

I guess I have very user-friendly Pooper's;-)
Two in one pen poop in the left and the right far corner, gelding is way more precise than mare, she occasionally deposits one next to one hay net. Then maybe one each inside.
Other gelding all in the far left corner of pen, only when mare next door is in heat he puts a couple at the fence line...an attempt to let other gelding know that he's male also:-)

Sunnylucy 04-06-2013 10:32 PM

Ah Desert, you are one lucky woman. My charmer managed to poop directly into his grain bucket today (it hangs on the wall). I'm starting to think he's sending a message that he doesn't like where he is now. I wish I could figure what is going on with him, he used to be so neat. He went from Felix to Oscar (I know I'm aging myself with the Odd Couple reference). :)

Lockwood 04-06-2013 10:41 PM

Your boy must have some how gotten the memo from my boy. :wink:

Mine was decent about pooping mostly outside and usually in one area until 5 months of pure rainy sloppy goopy slushy wintery mess.
Oh, he's not concerned with getting rained or snowed on at all and likes to stand out in it nearly all the time , but will now go very much out of his way just to come inside the barn to poop.
Does his business, then goes right back out again. :?