The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   2 steps forward, 3 back.... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/2-steps-forward-3-back-169737/)

Mochachino 04-06-2013 05:48 PM

2 steps forward, 3 back....

Well I had a fall last week off of a horse I had been taking lessons on. Don't remember before, during or after the fall...nothing. I had even forgot who I was and where I was for a short time. Anyway mild concussion and yesterday went to the DR. for x-rays of my elbow and hand. Mocha is going back to the trainer and I was supposed to be working on lunging him with a better "work ethic" and working with him on the ground getting out of my space, and now I can't. Sometimes I feel like when I'm finally getting somewhere with him and we are progressing, something happens that sidelines everything. He lunges great to the right, but can be a handful going to the left, and it's my left hand and elbow that is hurt. Frustrated...

Muppetgirl 04-06-2013 05:57 PM

That seems to be the nature of working with horses. I always find that I fix something and get it going real good, and in the process something else falls apart. That is why most of us keep persevering, to at least get everything near perfect......only problem is nothing is perfect! Soon enough you'll be back to normal and working at things!

Michelangelo was quoted as saying when he was 82 years old on his back painting the ceiling of the Sistine chapel 'I am still learning'......I try to remember that when I am having difficulty.

Palomine 04-06-2013 06:28 PM

Having hand/arm hurt should have nothing to do with working on keeping him out of your space.

And the "lesson" should not take more than one time to get it across, if you are using your body correctly.

Glad you are okay though.

Mochachino 04-06-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palomine (Post 2147673)
Having hand/arm hurt should have nothing to do with working on keeping him out of your space.

And the "lesson" should not take more than one time to get it across, if you are using your body correctly.

Glad you are okay though.

Yeah I can work on my space your space, but lunging he was a real jerk one way last time and tried to get away from me. I know my hand and arm wouldn't hold. I think I'm just going to take him over to a friend's place and I will get her to lunge him for a bit.