The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   "blasting" splints (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/blasting-splints-1698/)

futolympeventer327 04-29-2007 11:14 PM

"blasting" splints

my 4 year old throroughbred has what I think is a high anterior splint, it's right below his knee on the outside of his leg between his canon bone and deep flexor tendon. I was wondering if anyone knew if they could be like "blasted" with like the same technology used to dissolve kidney stones. I wouldn't mind if it was lower but im afraid he might develop carpal arthritis with it being so close to his knee.

kristy 04-30-2007 10:24 PM

Hm, that's a tough one. Have you consulted a vet? I know that blasting can only be performed so many times.

futolympeventer327 04-30-2007 11:03 PM

Yes we have a barn vet I only talked to her on the phone though as she is on holiday. I'm not even sure it's a splint anymore because it started shrinking it's about half the size as it was when I first posted. I can't think of anything else it would be though

hsharp123 05-01-2007 08:34 AM

Dont forget that splints can shrink as quickly as they appeared though!!

My mare has had two in her lifetime but ud never ever guess as her legs are faultless.

Is he turned out with another horse? Being on the outside of the leg id almost sway towards a kick? Bone bruises are alot like splints in the way they form, but are harder to get rid of.

Cold hose it regularly (even putting ice tight clay etc on) and get hold of some bone radial liquid! Plaster in on with a little stiff brush twice a day and then once for around a week....it will eventually shrink and a scabby head will form. You can then wait for that to fall off and it will go...if its going to!
If its the horse i remember you posting about before please dont forget that he is very young and doesnt want to be out to much competing. Especially with how hard it is at the moment! Cross country is terribly hard on young horses and i have only just let my mare start jumping out on grass and she is rising 6!

Anyway all the best and let us know what happens.
Elz x

futolympeventer327 05-04-2007 11:45 PM

I think he must have gotten it from a stable mate. They have pipe paddocks attached to their stalls and he gets in fights so thats most likely it since it's on the outside of his leg. Most the cross country courses in our area are on grass or nice soft dirt, he actually prefers the harder ground though for reasons unbeknownst to me. He's had 2 1/2 weeks of dressage work tho since while schooling he got boot rubs and the water from the water complex at that facility is notoriously nasty my vet thinks he got an infection from the water through the boot rubs. His hock and fetlock swelled up but we gave him IV antibiotics and sweated his leg and its back to normal but we might scratch from the show this coming weekend even though the facility is beautifully kept it looks more like a golf course than a horse facility and the ground is perfect. Anyways I have been doing hot cold therapy and using epsom salt/spearmint poultice and working him in exercise bandages instead of boots and it seems to still be shrinking.

hsharp123 05-05-2007 04:45 AM

Personally i would give him complete field rest as any riding increases the concussion to the leg injury and therefore make it harder on the body to fix it!
It will aslo lesson the chances of it dissapearing all together! It just takes 2weeks of small paddock rest for the leg to repair with your help of cold hosing, maybe a bute for the inflamation and he'l be fine!

Elz x

futolympeventer327 05-05-2007 09:15 AM

He can't go on field rest, we don't have the facilities. We have one large field (30 acres) but I won't let him go out there because it isn't well maintained and our vets horse shreded his leg on barbed wire and has been off for 4 months now while that heals. Plus he would go crazy, he needs the intellectual stimulation of being ridden or else he gets depressed. I am completly serious on that when he got a cold he was off for a week with turnout everyday and he went completly mad trying to attack people, biting the stable hands ect.. it took 2 months of prozac and a bigger stall to make him act normally again. Yes I said prozac, I do live in california my horse also has a chiropractor, massuese and acupuncturist.

hsharp123 05-05-2007 10:01 AM

Wow, you need some electric fencing! What fields do you use for turn out then as that sounds awfully unhorse friendly!

I hope for your sake that it doesnt get any worse in that case, if he ever needs field rest he will be a pain for you!

All the best, and i do hope he doesnt get any worse!!

Elz x

kristy 05-05-2007 12:24 PM

I think the horse needs turn out. I feel for him. I believe his aggression stems from exactly that, no turn out. It's a break and their right to freedom, they were not meant to be confined to a stall. I think any horse is appreciative over turn out, especially one that is worked. It gives them their personal time and space. I would really suggest looking into a different barn.

futolympeventer327 05-06-2007 01:53 AM

The turnouts are 12' by 36' I think and bedded with woodchips. I know theyre small my trainer is fighting with the barn owner and manager about getting bigger ones. He has been going out in the 20 meter roundpen though as the footing is better and it's flat. We are looking for a new barn but I would like to stay with my trainer so I'm waiting until he finds one that can accomidate all 30 of his clients. He is doing better though today after a 10 minute walk he flexed completly sound on hard ground on the straight line not on a circle yet but almost. Poulticing and antibiotics seemed to have done the trick.