The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   does this look like deep sulcus thrush. (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/does-look-like-deep-sulcus-thrush-169801/)

spirit88 04-06-2013 07:21 PM

does this look like deep sulcus thrush.

Here's a few pictures of my geldings hoof that's in question. Their living conditions are not great. Its spring and 3 and a half feet of snow is melting.

No where dry for him to stand pen is a manure water and mud muck hole. And its raining today. Will get pics.

spirit88 04-06-2013 07:57 PM

Here's the pics one is to show the muck hole they live in..

NorthernMama 04-06-2013 08:37 PM

The hoof needs to be picked out to be able to see properly. The horse is due for a trim. That all said, I don't see deep sulcus thrush - I see an open central sulcus and muck in the side sulci. If that's not muck, then I'd be concerned.

Is there any smell? Is it soft or firm? Of course, with the wet yard, the frog is probably generally soft, but is it equally soft all over?

MyBoyPuck 04-06-2013 08:41 PM

If you can stick a hoof pic into that crack, then yes you have some sulcus thrush going on. If there's no crack there and just a dirty hoof, scrub it with some Dawn dish liquid and warm water a few times a week to help keep the mud bugs at bay.

spirit88 04-06-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthernMama (Post 2148929)
The hoof needs to be picked out to be able to see properly. The horse is due for a trim. That all said, I don't see deep sulcus thrush - I see an open central sulcus and muck in the side sulci. If that's not muck, then I'd be concerned.

Is there any smell? Is it soft or firm? Of course, with the wet yard, the frog is probably generally soft, but is it equally soft all over?

That hoof is cleaned out and I can stick a hoof pick in that crack id say a good inch.
Haven't smelled it so don't know if it stinks.

As far as needing a trim don't know when that will happen can't find a farrier. I sure can't trim him iv been hurting to bad.

NorthernMama 04-06-2013 08:56 PM

Well, then yes, I'd say there is thrush there. Treat for thrush, but in my experience, treating thrush without keeping the trim up to date is a constant, even losing, battle.

Good luck finding a farrier. If you can find one, a good one, pay extra to keep him/her!

MyBoyPuck 04-06-2013 09:55 PM

Ugh. Well, can you get your hands on a case of Tomorrow Dry Cow? That stuff is by far the most effective against sulcus thrush. If not, I would clean it out really well, dig out all the gunk you can with Q-tips, scrub it with Dawn. Then mix a 50/50 solution of antibotic ointment and atheletes foot cream and shove as much as you can into that crevace. Then take a few cotton balls and stuff them in the hole to keep it open to air. Sulcus thrush is anearobic and will die once exposed to air.

spirit88 04-06-2013 10:55 PM

Yes I can get the tomorrow cow stuff going to town Monday or Tuesday. Might have found a farrier will find out if he will come out or not on Sunday.

MyBoyPuck 04-06-2013 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spirit88 (Post 2150425)
Yes I can get the tomorrow cow stuff going to town Monday or Tuesday. Might have found a farrier will find out if he will come out or not on Sunday.

Great. Just use it every other day and keep it open to air. If it's that deep, it will take some time to heal from the inside out.

spirit88 04-06-2013 11:08 PM

Ok ill do that but will it work when he's livi ng in a muck hole ? They have no where dry to stand only place kinda dry is mucky manure and hay mix.