The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Gloves (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/gloves-16982/)

DressageNJumper 11-03-2008 09:18 PM

Gloves

Hello! - I hope I've posted this in the correct forum; sorry if I haven't. :oops:

I was wondering what kind of gloves you all used (if you use any, that is)? Winter is approaching Minnesota and I don't have any gloves - and will continue riding, outside only.

With so many choices - leather, fabric, black, brown, tan, adjustable, fingerless, et cetera - I can't decide!

I will be outside, in snow sometimes, riding English. Usually dressage and jumping, and lunging a lot. The gloves will only be used for general riding purposes; not competing. I have small hands and long fingers - and long fingernails. What do you all think I should buy? I'd prefer a cheaper type, but put anything out there.

Thanks, everyone!

DNJ

luvs2ride1979 11-03-2008 10:11 PM

For your weather, I'd definitely go with leather. Get a plain leather pair and one that's got some kind of lining. Leather breaks the wind and chill best. Use the unlined pair when it's just slightly chilly and the lined pair when it's really cold.

Even though you're an English rider, I'd still go with some deerskin trail gloves. They soften up as you use them (or rub some mink oil paste into them) and get a nice feel to them. The deerskin wears well and is thin enough to get a good feel on the reins, but thick enough to keep your hands warm.

upnover 11-03-2008 10:24 PM

I like SSG's for a cheaper pair. The winter version are pretty warm. They're fairly inexpensive, wear well, and machine washable. All in all I pretty much hate gloves though. I think they're kind of bulky and uncomfortable some how so my absolute favorites are Roekles. They're kind of expensive (around $50) but they're made of this synthetic very thin, very grippy rubbery type leather looking material that doesn't feel bulky. They're the only pair that I've really minded wearing. Plus, they last FOREVER!

DressageNJumper 11-04-2008 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvs2ride1979 (Post 180363)
...Even though you're an English rider, I'd still go with some deerskin trail gloves. They soften up as you use them (or rub some mink oil paste into them) and get a nice feel to them. The deerskin wears well and is thin enough to get a good feel on the reins, but thick enough to keep your hands warm.

I'll try to find some - although this may cause problems with my mare - who spooks at the touch of anything "funky" - oh well, hope for the best! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by upnover (Post 180379)
I like SSG's for a cheaper pair. The winter version are pretty warm. They're fairly inexpensive, wear well, and machine washable. All in all I pretty much hate gloves though. I think they're kind of bulky and uncomfortable some how so my absolute favorites are Roekles. They're kind of expensive (around $50) but they're made of this synthetic very thin, very grippy rubbery type leather looking material that doesn't feel bulky. They're the only pair that I've really minded wearing. Plus, they last FOREVER!

I'll look these up - the Roekles sound very interesting from your description. :wink:

Thank you!!

DNJ

Angel_Leaguer 11-04-2008 10:50 AM

i use the cheap little gloves for like tacking up and stuff but once get out and riding I like to wear the deer skin gloves. For the horse they really shouldnt feel different. I think Fleet farm sells them. But all and all it is personal opinion

PoptartShop 11-04-2008 11:39 AM

Yeah, I use leather black gloves. :D I got mine @ Dover Saddlery. You can also order them online at their website. Mine have lasted about almost a year now & are very comfortable.

IrishRider 11-04-2008 12:32 PM

I have a pair of Kerrits winter gloves and they work really well. The only things I don't like is that since they are fleece lined and thicker, you lose a little feeling, but not enough to be an issue. You just get used to the lighter summer gloves and how easy it is to feel things in them. They keep your hands really warm...mine actually were a little sweaty when I would finish riding. I still have my pair from last year so they last too.

lizzie_magic 11-04-2008 11:29 PM

I love my roekles, they lasted a year. Whatever you get it is worth buying good ones, if you spend $20 they will last 1 ride if you spend $50 they will last years.