The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Possible Purchase - Quarter horse gelding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/possible-purchase-quarter-horse-gelding-169937/)

TwistedSerpent 04-06-2013 11:34 PM

Possible Purchase - Quarter horse gelding

6 Attachment(s)
Looking strongly at buying this guy and would love a conformation critique. He's 10 years old, been used on ranches and feedlots, and packed about a dozen elk out of the mountains. He's had the winter off so is on the rounder side, about 15 hands.

soenjer55 04-07-2013 01:50 AM

What would you like to do with him?
He has a long back and his pasterns seem a bit upright to me (I'm not really sure, you'll have to get a more knowledgable person to look at that), although his hocks look nicely angled and his front legs look nice and straight (a bit hard to tell with all that winter hair). His pasterns are nice and short and so are his canons. I really like his neck, it looks long, its balanced with his body, seems correctly built, and I think it ties on nicely. He has an upright shoulder (which is a bit small for me compared to his hip but that's just me being nit-picky) and high withers, a steep, short croup, and a nice big hip. He has a nice deep girth and his face is adorable.
Overall, although he's downhill and has some flaws, I think he looks like a solid horse and from what you've said he has an A+ personality. He has a nice amount of bone and although his shoulder/ pasterns are on the straight side, they are both the same angle. Horses with high withers and downhill builds seem to get sway backs easily, so I would suggest doing some exercises to build his top line if you get him, even if it's just for a pleasure mount.
Also, I'm no expert, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I'm pretty timid about being the first to critique a horse on here because of that, so hopefully those with more experience will get here soon and correct me if I'm wrong about anything.

TwistedSerpent 04-07-2013 02:44 AM

He will be used for pleasure/trail/try a bit of everything for fun horse. His feet were very long, still not perfect but much better. He neck reins very well, is very sensitive, loves to move fast, and I haven't seen a spook out of him yet. Very respectful on the ground, and a fast learner. The only big issue we've run into is he kicks out/bucks when transitioning fairs, mostly going into a lope (which he's still pretty uncoordinared at). We will be working hard getting him in shape, and he will be doing 30 days with my trainer too if I decide to get him.

tinyliny 04-07-2013 04:00 AM

He had a long back, that is a bit sagging downward from the pelvis. It looks like his pelvis is tipped forward a bit. His back legs are a bit "posty" and pasterns are upright. Shoulder is also upright . He is built downhill.

None of that matters that much for a trail horse with a good disposition. How old did you say he is?

TwistedSerpent 04-07-2013 01:27 PM

He's 10. Yeah we won't be doing any competing or anything or focus on any one sport.

TheLastUnicorn 04-07-2013 02:03 PM

For what you plan to do with him, he will likely do just fine... But he does have some relatively serious physical issues from a strictly conformational standpoint, which tinyliny has already pointed out.

TwistedSerpent 04-07-2013 02:22 PM

Will they cause issues later down the road? Is there anything I need to do to prevent them? Out here our selection of horses is quite poor and this will be my first and has been my best choice so far. Everything else in my price range is very young, unbroken or green broke, has major issues, or unridable at more then a walk, and he actually matches what I'm looking for temperament-wise. Faults don't bother me as long as they're not going break him down before his time with the amount of riding I want to do.

Sharpie 04-07-2013 02:56 PM

(I am not a pro! So, all IMO)

Somewhat long back, upright shoulder and short pasterns. OTOH sweet face and I like his head, solid bone, and it sounds like he has plenty of good experience training and world-wise and has enough substance that it doesn't seem like he's going to break down easily. I like him for a solid trail/fun buddy! I'd just make sure to pay attention to strengthening his topline to help teach him to support himself well through life.

jannette 04-07-2013 03:19 PM

i agree with sharpie, for what you want to do with him he looks great...love his color and what a cute face :-) we have trail-pleasure-ranch ect. horses and he looks like he'd fit in here lol...good luck and enjoy!!!

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 04-07-2013 03:21 PM

He looks older than 10 to me. Is he registered?