The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   Question concerning boots and helmet. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/question-concerning-boots-helmet-169953/)

rexing93 04-07-2013 12:04 AM

Question concerning boots and helmet.

So, I went to the facility that I'll, hopefully, be starting lessons at soon. When I went there they gave me a folder that contained a liability waiver, rules, prices, and requirements for riding.

On the requirements for riding they had:
1. A boot with a small heel, preferably a paddock boot.
and
2. ASTM/SEI certified riding helmet.

Now, I'm just wondering what boots and helmets (brands and what not) current riders have that they like.
I've always just tossed on Western boots, but since I'm riding English I can't quite do that.

Thank you!

loveduffy 04-07-2013 01:15 AM

there are a lot of good bootsout there pick one that feel good from the start. I ride trail and use troxel helmet

rexing93 04-07-2013 11:09 PM

Thanks!

DancingArabian 04-07-2013 11:31 PM

I HIGHLY recommend going to the tack store and trying out boots and a helmet. Helmets are funny and what feels good for one person won't on another because helmet fit is very head shape dependent. Boots are also sometimes a bit fussy too because the calf may not fit, or you may not like a zipper and prefer a lace up, or might find one brand has a spot that rubs.

jinxremoving 04-08-2013 08:43 AM

If you are tight on a budget:

Ariat Paddock Boots
Troxel or IRH Helmet

If you have a large budget:

TredStep Donatello Tall Boots
Charles Owen or GPA Helmet

I love the IRH helmets to school in, they are super light and certified to every standard. The more expensive IRH helmets are very low profile and kind of look like Charles Owen or GPA knock off, but for several hundreds of dollars cheaper. I know you mentioned paddock boots, but if you have the money I would definitely suggest a good pair of tall boots (with breeches) as they can help stabilize your leg better than paddock boots, plus they are more acceptable if you decide to get into showing. However, if you do get paddock boots make sure you also get half chaps to match.

Whatever you get for a helmet, try them all on as suggested. Some brands fit round heads better. Some brands fit oval heads better. Keep in mind if you get a fabric type helmet (instead of plastic on the outside) that they tend to collect a lot of dust and there's more effort involved, obviously, in keeping them clean. :)