The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Toxic Plants and Trees (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/toxic-plants-trees-16999/)

Dumas'_Grrrl 11-04-2008 10:36 AM

Toxic Plants and Trees

Lets all put our heads together and create a handy list of plants and trees that are toxic to horses.

A link to a website and/or pictures would be a great resource for all of us to ensure the heath and safety of our horses!

As we are all from different parts of the US and World please feel free to add native plants to your area!!! :D

Equine Health

servinator 11-04-2008 01:51 PM

What a good idea Dumas!!

Here is a website with a few more, I have read a lot about the Tansy Ragwort because it can be mixed in with the hay.

http://www.equisearch.com/horses_care/feeding/feed/poisonousplants_041105/

mnprairieman 11-10-2008 11:45 AM

Hi, I am a new horse owner and new to the forum.

A group of us were just talking about this subject and one of us was told that St. John's Wort is toxic to horses. Is this true?

Gimme A Dream 11-13-2008 08:18 PM

I watch carefully for the seaside groundsel as it contains a natural form of cyanide. That is my worst nightmare but it doesn't normally grow in hay fields. I keep my pastures inland as much as possible also.

iridehorses 11-16-2008 08:42 AM

Johnson grass, especially very early in it's growth cycle contains a natural form of cyanide as well. It is very common nation wide.

Wild Cherry trees should be cut down and carted off if you have any in your pasture. The dead branches are toxic to horses; they absorb the toxin through their feet. There have been numerous cases of people who have mulched the branches and used them for bedding only to find their horses very ill or dead. Horses who ingest the leaves or nibble on the bark can die within hours.

Oak leaves that have soaked in your horse's water tank can cause many illnesses.

steph81285 11-17-2008 11:15 PM

Nightshade plant caused my grandmas horse to get hepatitis which made her liver fail so we had to put her down. In all, the poison took about a month to go all throughout her body.

iridehorses 11-18-2008 07:59 AM

Remember that normally horses will avoid toxic plants as long as there is ample forage for them. Lack of hay, grass, and boredom will cause horses to look for things to eat and then it becomes even more crucial to check the pastures and paddocks.

smrobs 11-20-2008 09:32 PM

I don't know how wide spread this is but I know it is plentiful in my area. Locoweed. At least that is what we call it. Most of the plants that we have around here have the white or purple flowers. Poisonous Plant Research Products and Services

Shoemaker 11-25-2008 02:07 PM

Here are the top ten most poisonous plants:

1. Bracken Firn
2. Hemlock
3. Tansy Ragwort
4. Johnsongrass/Sudan Grass
5. Locoweed
6. Oleander
7. Red Maple Trees
8. Water Hemlock
9. Yellow Star Thistle
10. Yew Shrub

Others:
Any plant of the Prunus species i.e. Cherry, Plum, Peach etc.
Acorns, Oak leaves
Horse Chestnut
Black Locust
Black Walnut
Mountain Laurel - - PA
Rhododendron & Azaleas
Milkweed
Sorghum Grass
White Snakeroot

WHEW! That's a lot to remember!

iridehorses 11-25-2008 03:31 PM

Good job Shoemaker - welcome to the forum.