The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   mare in heat-first time with a mare need tips on handleing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/mare-heat-first-time-mare-need-170097/)

aliciajohnson1 04-07-2013 10:23 AM

mare in heat-first time with a mare need tips on handleing

I have a 4yrold mare, and she was around a stallion yesterday (he was on the other side of the fence) and my dad accedtly let that happen. And were pretty sure shes in heat because as i was trying to handle her she was rearing up and etc trying to get back in the pasture to be near the stallion. And i put her in her stall to calm her down she cont. to freak out kick the door and nay.
Any and all tips to keep me and her safe, no hate please!

churumbeque 04-07-2013 11:31 AM

keep them so they can't see each other or smell each other. If she continues to be hard to handle then your vet can suggest something so she doesn't come into heat.

aliciajohnson1 04-07-2013 11:36 AM

Okay thanks much! Would you recommend lunging her or riding her or just to wait it out?

churumbeque 04-07-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aliciajohnson1 (Post 2153209)
Okay thanks much! Would you recommend lunging her or riding her or just to wait it out?

I would work her as usual as long as she isn't dangerous and keep her attention and focus on you. If your are not comfortable riding then I would focus on ground work (not lunging) to get her learning basic handling and respect.

My guess is she may need some more handling and training or this would not have been an issue to begin with.

aliciajohnson1 04-07-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by churumbeque (Post 2153273)
I would work her as usual as long as she isn't dangerous and keep her attention and focus on you. If your are not comfortable riding then I would focus on ground work (not lunging) to get her learning basic handling and respect.

My guess is she may need some more handling and training or this would not have been an issue to begin with.

She normally is a very good girl, I havent had her that long thats why it is a issue because this is the first time for me being around her in heat or haveing a mare of my own at all. So i would like to keep things as safe as possible while she and i both learn What ground work would you recommend?

churumbeque 04-07-2013 01:27 PM

There are plenty of natural horsemanship techniques and videos. I am not good at explaining with typing. But yeilding hind and shoulders and releasing to pressure. Shoulder in and shoulder out. Backing softly, Pushing large balls. Sacking out with plastic. Learning to stand still while you swing stuff around her and over her. working with tarps. general exposure to as much as you can and her handling it with ease.

Saddlebag 04-07-2013 05:33 PM

There is one day where her hormones are raging and screaming that she be bred. That is called standing heat. This is the only day in her cyle that she would catch. Often the following day she should be pretty close to being back to her old self.

franknbeans 04-07-2013 05:43 PM

I would reiterate-keep the stud away! For everyone's safety in handling the stud also. Sharing a fenceline is probably not a good idea. I sure wouldn't chance it, but that's just me. Is there a reason you have a stud? Is she kept at a breeding facility?

aliciajohnson1 04-07-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franknbeans (Post 2156153)
I would reiterate-keep the stud away! For everyone's safety in handling the stud also. Sharing a fenceline is probably not a good idea. I sure wouldn't chance it, but that's just me. Is there a reason you have a stud? Is she kept at a breeding facility?

He is not our stud she is kept at my grandpaws house and his neighbor has a mini stud horse, we share a fence line with them. But i did move her away from that pasture to keep her safe, because sometimes the stud gets out.. no idea why they have him he only causes trouble

Cherie 04-07-2013 06:55 PM

So not let he ever be across a fence from a stallion, Both are liable to get hurt or crippled. They paw and kick through fences and it is not a good thing for them to have access to a common fence.

She needs to be taught to respect her manners and her handlers / riders when she is in heat. Mares are no different than performance stallions. They need to be taught absolute respect.

This time of year, they can come into extended heats -- sometimes 2 weeks or longer in duration. They may be in a strong standing heat for several days. They usually do ovulate at the end of these long heats, but they are very irregular compared to heat cycles later in the spring and summer.

If mares have abnormal heat cycles, one may want to use a Veterinary drug like Regumate to alter their cycles, but that is unusual and I sure would not recommend it for most mares.

We use several mares on commercial trail rides for beginning riders and encounter no problems with them at all once they have been taught proper manners.