The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Posting Help! (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/posting-help-170169/)

amg800 04-07-2013 12:37 PM

Posting Help!

So I really need some advice! I have been riding for a year and a half now and I still can't seem to post correctly. When I post I post forward and back, however my legs always move....I don't understand why! I keep my heels down, and I try not to post up and down, but forward.
Any advice?

tinyliny 04-07-2013 02:51 PM

need a video to make any real assessment.

SullysRider 04-07-2013 03:48 PM

Sink your weight into your heels, imagining that it is evenly distributed throughout your thighs and calfs (not your knees!), sinking into your saddle and post using your thighs. Push forward with your thighs, not your whole leg, this will keep your lower leg still. It helped me a lot to think like that and dramatically improved my posting. Now my posting is smooth, soft and not sky high

amg800 04-07-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SullysRider (Post 2155585)
Sink your weight into your heels, imagining that it is evenly distributed throughout your thighs and calfs (not your knees!), sinking into your saddle and post using your thighs. Push forward with your thighs, not your whole leg, this will keep your lower leg still. It helped me a lot to think like that and dramatically improved my posting. Now my posting is smooth, soft and not sky high

Thank you so much! I will try this! :)

teamfire 04-07-2013 03:58 PM

nevermind

Skyseternalangel 04-07-2013 06:07 PM

These videos are awesome

heymckate 04-09-2013 10:07 PM

It's hard to say without watching you, but it sounds like you're putting too much work into your posting. It's a pretty common problem. :)

What I find helps with posting is to actually not worry about the up-down movement so much and instead focus on how the horse feels. Relax your hips and let your weight naturally sink into your heels, and get into an easy sitting trot. Focus on the beat and how the stride feels, and let your horse's stride start pushing you out of the saddle. Let your horse do the majority of the work of getting you out of the saddle, keeping even contact all the way down your legs.

Good luck!

ponypile 04-09-2013 11:40 PM

Building on what others have said, it sounds like your forcing the post instead of just allowing it to happen. Think about it as the horse double bouncing you (like on a trampoline) out of the saddle, rather than standing up to get off your horses back. You need to use your horses movement to push you up rather than your own efforts. Also, try to envision your belly button is being pulled up an forward when you rise. This will help you stay in the right position.