The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Advice for new jumper? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/advice-new-jumper-170193/)

BlueRider 04-07-2013 03:27 PM

Advice for new jumper?

Hello everyone! :) Thanks for stopping by my thread. Just before I start: this is my first post on this website, so please excuse me if I make some mistakes :oops:
Anywho, I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on jumping? I've done small jumps but will really "start" jumping towards the end of April. So I was hoping to get some advice from more experienced jumpers. Thanks so much. Anything you could tell me would be wonderful. :D

Cinder 04-07-2013 04:56 PM

Well, my first piece of advice would be to find a good instructor if you don't already have one.

Next would be to start small and to build your confidence up with that.

Next- don't be in a hurry to jump higher! I tell you this because it's something I struggle with myself. Remember, the most important thing is jumping well, not jumping high.

Welcome to the site! :D

ThoroughbredJumper 04-17-2013 02:05 PM

Keep your eyes up, heels down, butt back, and heart in your horse. :) Always try to push your limits, but never move too fast. Jumpers is hard to learn, and harder to master. Dont get discouraged if you fall, and be prepared for some literal highs and lows. Have fun in the world of Jumpers, and dont let your competitors get into your head.

DancingArabian 04-17-2013 03:20 PM

Fold at the waist.

Calf and ankle strength is important, so is balance. Not all your workouts for this have to be on a horse.
Posted via Mobile Device

Glenknock 04-19-2013 10:06 PM

As Cinder said start small dont worry about height as i'm always telling my niece if you cant do it right over small fence's you haven't a hope when they go up, but most importantly have fun enjoy yourself :)