The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   cactus in horses hock - help (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/cactus-horses-hock-help-1702/)

horsebooks4u 04-30-2007 12:07 PM

cactus in horses hock - help

I found this forum by doing a search on the internet for this topic. My gelding rolled and got a piece of cactus in his hock. A 3/8" piece worked it's way out but the exit spot is still oozing. He has been on antibiotics but those are done now.

I saw someone had this same problem but it was back in 2004 and the links didn't work.

Any suggestions, ideas greatly appreciated. We are now in Washington state and my local vet may not be that familiar with AZ cactus injuries.

thanks in advance

DesertGal 04-30-2007 03:51 PM

I'm probably not much help, I haven't encountered cactus (yet). But my previous gelding had a small encounter with a joshua tree... I put icthamol (sp?) on it for about ooh, a week or two, until it quit draining. This stuff is like tar, and it draws, so encourages draining. Then I put an aloe vera solution on it until it was totally healed. I imagine there are other things that are better, but I already had these on hand... They worked... The joshua's have an oil on them that is super irritating, kind of like cactus I think.

Just my two cents worth.

horsebooks4u 04-30-2007 04:00 PM

cactus

Thanks Connie, I'll look see if I can find any around here. I spoke to my AZ vet and he says the same as you did, the cactus is very irritating and we do want it to continue to drain. I've been putting the poultice on daily and that seems to help, but willing to give the "tar" a try too.
Thanks again, Heather

welshcoblady 05-11-2007 06:39 AM

Hock

Hello have you tried using any drawing agents such as lintex or mag paste this draws out infection and possibly any foreign body that may be trying to come out you really do not want the wound to heal if there is cactus still in the site the wound may need to be opened to find the foreign body because if the wound heals it will travel to find another way out i would poultice to see if it draws any thing out this will also draw infection.

horsebooks4u 05-11-2007 10:30 AM

Re: Hock

Quote:

Originally Posted by welshcoblady
Hello have you tried using any drawing agents such as lintex or mag paste this draws out infection and possibly any foreign body that may be trying to come out you really do not want the wound to heal if there is cactus still in the site the wound may need to be opened to find the foreign body because if the wound heals it will travel to find another way out i would poultice to see if it draws any thing out this will also draw infection.

Hello - thanks for the message. I am happy to report that after antibiotics, fresh poultice daily, hot packs, a fluid tap by the vet and $500 - the cactus came out, is healed and my horse is back on all four legs. That was a nasty accident, in a really bad place, but I am so glad and truely Thank GOD that it has a great outcome.

Thanks again for the reply. Heather

savepitbulls 05-11-2007 12:29 PM

$500? Ouch! Why so much? Glad to hear your horse is okay though.

horsebooks4u 05-12-2007 12:26 AM

3 vet exams, Mega expensive antibiotics, bute, poultice, wraps, joint fluid draw and culture - it adds up pretty darn quick. But on the lighter side, at least he is better now. Sure was an expensive roll he did out in the desert pasture