The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Building a run in shed? Plans? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/building-run-shed-plans-170273/)

lilruffian 04-07-2013 05:54 PM

Building a run in shed? Plans?

1 Attachment(s)
So, i've looked all over Google and could not fine a single helpful thing, so i was just wondering what materials i will need to build a run in shed for my girls next month.
It will be for 2 horses, so 12X24 feet?
How high?
I posted a photo of the sort i want, only without the attached tack room.

Do you guys have suggestions on dimesions and materials??
Any input will be great!
I was considering just buying a shelter "package" that comes with materials and you just have to construct it, but i know that buying the lumber myself will be cheaper.

ericp502 04-07-2013 10:20 PM

Here is a good how-to on building run in sheds. Run-in Shelter - stablemanagement.com

lilruffian 04-08-2013 01:01 AM

Thanks!!

Misty'sGirl 04-08-2013 01:56 AM

I don't think I have any pics of mine but we built ours out of second hand materials so it was much cheaper, and my uncle is a builder so he helped us out! It was almost ten years ago we built ours.

Ours has a roof that slopes down towards the back so when it rains the water drains away out to the back BUT the ground would become so soggy that it ended up flooding the shed so we had to attach a gutter and bought a water tank to attach the gutter to. That way we were actually saving the water, attached a hose to the tank and used the rainwater to water the garden :D

The other thing to be aware of is be VERY careful that you frequently monitor for exposed nails. Misty had a perfect ability to tell the time and if I was half an hour late feeding her she would stand in there and kick the walls as loud as she could... Mares!

Oh, we didn't have any extra flooring in ours, just the dirt and we live in a rocky area so every few months we actually had to top up the soil because it got "walked away" and rocks became a big problem.

I think that's all I've got worth mentioning haha.

Chevaux 04-08-2013 02:21 AM

I think your planned size would work well for two horses.

I`ve got four horses. My run in shed is 16 ft deep, 32 ft long and 8 ft high at the back (about 10 ft at the front or open end) - pole construction. I like the 8 ft height as it gives the horses a bit of head room for when they are in there `horsing around`with each other.

The material we used for it consisted of 4x8 ft OSB sheets for the sides and roof; 6x6 inch pressure treated posts (you really need pressure treated if you`re putting them in the ground); and a combination of 2x6 and 2x4 boards for the roof, sides and finishing touches. The roof is shingled with ordinary house shingles. The OSB was the cheapest material we could find and has held up well for us given the shed is over 20 years old now. We hope this year to put metal siding on the outside walls (over the existing OSB) as I`m tired of having to paint it all the time. We chose the dimensions we did to accommodate all the horses using it at once plus reduce the amount of cutting we`d have to do. It went up fairly fast (it was just my husband and I building it) and doing it ourselves made it easy on the wallet. Our prevailing winds are from the north or northwest so we have it opening to the south - quite cozy in there on a cold winters day with the sun shining.

With regard to metal siding, if you choose to use it and don`t put a buffer under it (ie the OSB in our case), it gets really, really noisy inside when the rain or snow hits it and the horses might not want to go in there. This is especially true of the roof. Therefore I would suggest at least for the roof, you either use OSB (or whatever your preferred wood is) and shingles or OSB with metal sheeting on top.

I`m glad we have ours. It`s well used by the horses and ět`s comforting to know they have access to shelter whenever they need it.

Saskia 04-08-2013 04:21 AM

Really consider your flooring too.

My mum and I once built one (it was really dodgy though) but basically we just sunk some posts and then built a simple wood frame, then attached sheet metal to it. It would have been much better if we hadn't skimped on the materials. The floor there was alright.

But most recently I was at an agistment place with a run in shed and it would get horribly muddy and damp in there and the horse hated it. The water would soak in but it wouldn't get the sun and would never dry out. It would have been much better if they had put concrete down or something.

So I guess just consider that and positioning - as the main things.

lilruffian 04-08-2013 01:27 PM

Thanks you guys for all the good tips!
I'm definitely going to put a floor in it, probably out of sand and i really like the gutter idea.
The sides wont be metal i dont think but the roof will

Corporal 04-08-2013 01:29 PM

One more thing: If you don't know how to build get a builder to help you. You'd feel terrible if the thing collapsed on your horse!

Palomine 04-08-2013 06:58 PM

Just did this last November, and the dimensions are 20x10, so smaller.

I wanted to be able to move it, so didn't make it as deep as really wanted.

Are you planning on this being permanent, or are you going to ever move it?

For the wood that touches ground, you need to get pressure treated lumber, of course.

If you are wanting 24 foot long, make sure your lumber yard has 5x5's that long, or whatever type you want.

And one thing I did not take into consideration? Is that if I wanted interior size of stalls to be 10x10? (Which I did) I should have gotten 12 foot side boards, so when joined, the interior would be size wanted. AND the front/back boards should have been 22 feet long, so could cut down all four bottom boards to leave me inside of 10x10.

I found it actually cheaper to use metal on sides too, no painting, and no eating of it by horses. I got roll of insulating deal, that was silver one side/white other, that is too keep heat out better, cold out too. Ended up with whole roll when all needed was just the top length/width.
So put it on inside of stalls too, as well as roof. Covered the inside of it with plywood 8 feet high.

And where you are wanting to have two stalls? Put another 12 foot or so length in middle to divide. Figure out what you will be dividing with, boards, gate, solid wall, if you are going to make two stalls that is.

I found when I had smaller one made of wood? One horse would keep other out, with two separate stalls? Each can get in. And of course with Kola, I have to be able to keep him separate.

I made the wall in back 8 foot high, and the top is 12 feet, with overhang.

I will try to post picture...but don't know if can.

Honestly, after all the headache AND the cost of materials and labor? I would have come out much cheaper by having lumber yard build it and bring it to me.

Palomine 04-08-2013 07:05 PM

Not the best picture..

1 Attachment(s)
I can get a better one Wednesday.

You can see the inside here, and I have pelleted shavings down in it. I had it made by Amishman and I just could have done it SO much easier and cheaper having King City Lumber do it and haul it in.

But this is insulated well, we divided it because Kola is crippled, and Baby Huey is such a bully.

Both of them will have to be up in summer, as Kola is photosensitive and Baby Huey sunburns badly.